Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I just bought my first Triumph! It's a 2016 America. Brand new (see my profile pic)! I got an amazing price on it and am very excited to ride it. I have wanted a Triumph for decades and finally got to a place where I can afford one. I have heard however that there are issues with stalling and was concerned. Is this something I should be worried about or is it not that common?

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't know much about stalling on the '16, but these carbed 865 engines are great running powerplants. As long as you've got the correct map, you should be fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi, I just bought my first Triumph! It's a 2016 America. Brand new (see my profile pic)! I got an amazing price on it and am very excited to ride it. I have wanted a Triumph for decades and finally got to a place where I can afford one. I have heard however that there are issues with stalling and was concerned. Is this something I should be worried about or is it not that common?
congrats really like the color- looks great!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
...these carbed 865 engines....
lemieluxfan, Triumph air-cooled twins have had EFI since at least '09 in the USA. Also, Triumph switched to a non-programmable-type ECU in recent years, so changing the map on a 2016 America is...complicated.

To the OP: First of all, congratulations on your new ride! She's a beauty. You should hope for the best, but some people do complain about fueling issues at the on/off throttle threshold on the these bikes. Described symptoms include "snatchy" acceleration, misses, and stalls from throttle off. I have this problem! If you are unfortunate and your bike also has this issue, it can be annoying when starting off from a stop and when going around low speed corners. It is possible to train yourself around the flaw by revving a little higher and slipping the clutch. There is also an incredible volume of lore in the forums about this problem and various folks efforts to ameliorate it, but as I mentioned above, much of it will be irrelevant to you because you can't remap your ECU.

·
Registered
170 Posts
great color. The stalling generally comes from low idle. I fixed that on my 2015 by adjusting the idle from about 800 to 1200 RPM. That totally solved all the issues. you can adjust the idle at the adjustment up at the throttle grip.

·
Registered
53 Posts
great color. The stalling generally comes from low idle. I fixed that on my 2015 by adjusting the idle from about 800 to 1200 RPM. That totally solved all the issues. you can adjust the idle at the adjustment up at the throttle grip.
Can't you also adjust it with the little knob on the left side down by the choke lever?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
nickgrady81, nice choice, really like that color.
About the stalling issue some have had, plenty of discussions so search & read a bit if you have it. Do keep the idle at or just above 1,000 RPM and at the first service ask that the throttle body balance is checked & adjusted if needed. They should do this without you asking but not all service departments are as thorough as they should be.

Can't you also adjust it with the little knob on the left side down by the choke lever?
Yes, the big knurled knob on the left and below the throttle bodies (faux carbs) is the idle adjustment knob. The throttle cable adjusters near the switch gear assembly on the handlebar can be used to remove any sloppy throttle cable action. We have a dual cable (pull open and pull closed) setup that can compound the problem if miss adjusted.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Congratulations! That is one beautiful bike! I've had an America, now have a Speedmaster - both are great bikes. I had a slight "stalling" issue, but it was fixed with the adjustment to the idle noted above.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Congratulations, that's a beautiful bike. Like others have said, keep the idle right and you shouldn't have any issues. I think my other bikes have been around 8-900 rpm, and my Speedmaster is around 1000-1100. haven't had an issue since adjusting it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Howdy !

Good choice on that new scooter. I test drove the same one at a dealer in Utah. Very smooth ride. Mine had no problems at all w/drivability. But this forum has been super for me. My carbed 790 idles nice @850rpm. Good luck getting yours sorted out. The 'new' bike warranty ought to take care of it I would think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't know if there will be issues....have not ridden it yet....too cold and snowy here still...I do have the 5 year warranty though so that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! Love my Speedy.

Make sure you fully warm up the bike(ride it 20-30 min) before making adjustments to idle speed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts