Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Justin. Just bought a 2002 America. Sold my Sportster to get it. Got tired of the beating I took riding it. Looking forward to finding out some great information from all of you.

·
Registered
763 Posts
A friend of mine at work has one very similar. He yanked all the insides out of his pipes and it sounds wonderful! A little loud, but good.

My buddy and his wife ride together on it now and then, like my Scrambler, it's not real fast, but looks and sounds great and is fast enough to get into trouble!

Enjoy! Am looking forward to seeing some more posts of yours with your bike on your favorite rides. Psssst - to tell you the truth, I came pretty close to buying a sportster before choosing the Triumph! ;)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Welcome. This site has tons and tons of good info buried in old threads (and ofcourse the "great source of info" sticky). Also there are quite a few very knowledgable folk here that can answer any question you can come up with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I do have one question so far. My Sporty took two different oils. One for the engine and one for the primary. Does Triumph just use one for everything?

·
29,948 Posts
Yes indeed - the Triumphs are "unit" construction, like most metric bikes. This simply means the engine and transmission are both together in the same casing, with the same oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello

I joined not too long ago as well. I just installed new exhaust, air box elimination and air injection removal kits on my 07 Speedmaster over the holidays and got to tell you ,the info I got from this site was invaluable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just curious Jglow, how does the Triumph compare ride wise with the Sporty?
There really isn't a comparison. The Sporty was rough and vibrated and was really a beating. The Triumph is just the opposite. Every time I shifted gears on the HD I thought the gear case was out of oil. CLUNK, CLUNK every time.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome home.
The America is really a great bike. 15000mi turned yesterday and no problems to speak of. Just got home from work riding the Vstar, my daughter and I own it. But I like my America so much more. We are leaving for Vietnam tomorrow for 5 weeks vacation, I will miss the bike. I guess I will have to settle for riding the In Laws Yamaha 125s. A whole different set of riding skills to deal with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts