Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a used black 2008 Tiger. Has 2000km on in - apparently never ridden in the rain, not that it changes much cozt the bike looks brand new! Tires still have those little spinney things on them.... Comes with abs or do they all come with abs now? Triumph top case and Triumph gel seat. Got it for 10k canadian, the guy was simply looking to get rid of it fast coz he had just bought some sort of large HD cruiser. Anyway, I can't ride it yet coz were still suffering from subarctic weather conditions over here in Montreal but one month to go and I'll be out cruising all over the place! In the mean time I was wondering if there are any essentials that I should pick up for the bike or have anything done to it in terms of service? I plan on buying side panniers but have heard very mixed opinions about the Triumph panniers, any other recommendations?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD
There are a couple of things I would recommend you attend to on your new bike:

1. The coolant Triumph puts in them is very bad stuff...flush the coolant system and put in new coolant.
2. Remove the shift linkage and take apart the ball joints and put thread locker on the threads of the ball joints--they have a habit of unscrewing at the most inopportune time.
3. Order a Service Manual from a Triumph dealer.

I think you got a good deal on an '08 with ABS. No, they don't all come with ABS. I'm trading in my '07 without ABS for a new '08 with ABS. I personally prefer the Triumph panniers; however, many on the http://www.tiger1050.com forum use various other panniers.

I would recommend a front mudguard (fender) extender. Triumph quit selling them for the 1050 Tiger because the rivets could touch the tire; however, one can still get the Triumph front fender extender--just get one for a Speed Triple or Daytona--P/N A9708051. Throw the rivets in the trash and glue the extender on with a good 2-part epoxy glue--I used JB-Weld. I would recommend removing the fender and bringing it in the house where it is warm to do the epoxy job.

The chain guard is too short, IMHO. There is an aftermarket one available that is long enough to keep water, crud, and chain lube from slinging all over the panniers and you. Go to http://www.patwalshdesigns.com/triumph.html

Good luck with your new ride! I would probably change the oil and oil filter as soon as Spring gets sprung up North.:)

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think redbird pretty much covered what someone might want to do to their Tiger when they first get one. As for side bags I have the Triumph ones and am happy with them. They look really good on the bike. If you plan on alot of travel and camping there are other after market bags out there that will hold more stuff. Really depends on how much stuff you plan on carrying around with you. Also Triumph bags are on the expensive side.
Best wishes and I hope you enjoy your new bike.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
The Triumph center stand is a very handy accessory to have and easy to install. Makes cleaning and chain and tire service simpler tasks. Oh, and way up north there you might find heated grips useful.

·
Registered
634 Posts
+ 1 on the OEM panniers. I also installed a SW Mothech rear rack with an adaptor plate to carry a dry bag for extra cargo.

I saw in person the SW motech Trax bags and they look real nice. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/688/. Maybe one day I may consider putting something like that on. For now I am ok with OEM bags.
As redbird pointed out, several discussion treds on tiger1050 on other bags options and pics.

Congrats on your new bike!!! Not as fast as the orange one, but still fast :D

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
First ship the bike down to Florida and I will see how it runs for ya!

Yep check twisted throttle for alt bags.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The chain likes to be run looser than the setting in the manual, at least 40 mm. Otherwise you'll get a vibration. Check the oil regularly at first. Some use a little, some don't

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.