Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night while performing some routine maintenance on my (new to me) 2002 Bonneville, I noticed a small exhaust leak where the header pipe meets the muffler.

I could feel the leak easily with my bare hand (near but not on the exhaust system).

Tried several times to reposition/retighten the clamp, but wasn't able to stop the leak completely.

What else (if anything) can I do?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Can you hear it? With that type connection I am not sure if it is possible to totally seal it. Of course with high temp silicone you may but my Bubs leak a bit at that junction and the only woes it creates is the bit of smudge I have to wipe off every few hundred miles.

Since there is no gasket I am not sure it was ever intended to pass the air tight seal test.

I have had a dozen bikes and either I have been unlucky of this is normal..... Now you have me thinking........too late in the day for that......

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Mine does this too. I'm planning to go the silicone route. It's just a smudge...prolly no effect on operation of the bike but it won't hurt to seal it either.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
When I changed to Norman Hyde Classic silencers, I was instructed to install the new units with high-temp RTV silicone sealant (red/orange in color) at the joint. Once the clamp is tightened, wipe off the excess and let it dry overnight. It's not really an airtight seal without a sealant. You can find the right stuff at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the feed-back.

Interestingly, one of the exhaust joints is fine while the other one leaks.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mine does the same thing, on the right side. I only noticed it because of the soot stain on the header pipe. I tried tightening the clamp but it had no effect. If I ignore it I'm sure it'll go away.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Mine leaks too. I know from the small black stain. I ignore it. I'm not motivated enough to pull it apart and seal it, but would probably do so if I had to take it apart for another reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts