Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im a very excited new owner of a 14' STR with a few upgrades. I bought it used from a local dealer with 5k miles and most of the upgrades included with the RX version + some others.

Everything on my 35min ride home was great, but after I parked it, turned the motor off, then tried to start it again, the engine had trouble turning over. It finally started, but then when I turned it off and back on, it failed to start (you could hear it trying, but it sounded like there just wasnt enough juice to get it going).

After a couple hours of sitting outside though, I tried again and it started right up.

Doesn't this seem odd? A 35min ride should have been plenty to charge the battery (and it started up just fine at the dealership 3 times).

Any ideas of why a hot engine after 30min of running would have trouble starting? Any chance the starter motor has an issue?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
A 30 min. Ride will not fully charge a motorcycle battery. If you have a battery tender, charge it over night.

If the problem is not 100% cured to your satisfaction, go to the dealer for a new battery.

You can break some very expensive parts by trying to start a bike with a bad battery. Do not mess with this.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Those stock little lead-acid motorcycle batteries suck, especially if one cell goes bad. Toss it and install an 18Ah Shorai Lithium battery. Purchase the dedicated charger/tender with the battery and you will have no problems for 10 years. Btw this battery is 4 lbs lighter than the stock one. If you only ride in hot climates the 14Ah model works fine, but get the 18Ah model if you sometimes ride in cold weather.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Could the voltage regulator be a concern on the 2014 models. Mine went bad on my 2009 and it killed my battery. Just keep it mind if the same thing happens after you install a new battery.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm betting it has more to do with the TPS/throttle bodies than a battery. It cranks fine when the bike is cold/cool but has trouble when the bike is hot? Definitely sounds like the TPS issue I had.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was just listing the issue I had on mine which caused the hot-start issues. I replaced my battery and still was reluctant to start when the bike was hot and throttle was stumbling all over the place on idle and low RPMs. The battery will be the easiest to check and remedy - get a volt meter and touch it to the coordinating battery leads to read voltage while the bike is off, idling, and under load. I forget what the voltages are for each, however -- I think bike off the battery should read just above 12V.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been jumping in on these speedie aint starting threads because my '14 STR had both hot and cold start issues. When hot and after turning it off for a minute or so, it would barely turn over as though the battery was cac'.

Turned out to be the mapping in my case - I had the arrow tune for a low mount and that's when the problems began. When I took it in for some minor repairs recently, the dealer reset and remapped the ECU (after installing new locks for new keys). All problems associated with cold and hot starting have been resolved. Now it fires right up no problems at all. I believe the dealer said to me he put an updated factory tune in, or something.

Maybe this is what is required in your case. I'd be very, very surprised if it was the battery on your newish bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts