Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, just bought my first Sprint ST also my first Triumph ever. 2008 ST ABS 25k, rode it back from Indiana to Denver. Already love the bike, suspension is magic carpet over bumps, and the engine is smooth almost to a fault (more in a minute). So i bought the bike unseen in person and rode it straight back to CO. Test rode it first and it was pretty much what i was expecting, good power, not crazy, but smooth (my other bike is a Ducati Monster that has been trying to kill me for years).
The first day I was loving it, happily cruising at 120 with the hard cases. However the 2nd day it began to feel a little sluggish, gets to 100 quick enough but really slows down past that point (full throttle 4th gear and it takes a seriously long time to get to 120). The bike starts, idles, and revs beautifully. I havent had a chance to pull the bags off it and give it a spanking since I got back but I want to know any thoughts or personal experience with this? There was some headwinds, low qulaity gas, and long stretches of high heat, but I know what 100+ hp feels like and it didnt have it. I have a TuneECU, air filter, oil filter, and spark plugs on the way. This thing needs an exhaust upgrade bad, I cant hear it at all with earplugs and the triple sounds so good. Also dont bother stocking up on insect repellent this summer, I got em all!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome to the world of riding a Sprint, still the best all rounder bike imho (y)
Sounds like you're going about things the right way, I'd add a fuel filter to the shopping list too - fuel starvation might be at play too if its picked up enough grit in the tank.
Should go like a rocket - mine gets to 120mph in next to no time, though not many roads my way I can keep that speed on!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the world of riding a Sprint, still the best all rounder bike imho (y)
Sounds like you're going about things the right way, I'd add a fuel filter to the shopping list too - fuel starvation might be at play too if its picked up enough grit in the tank.
Should go like a rocket - mine gets to 120mph in next to no time, though not many roads my way I can keep that speed on!
Thanks for the response. So after very little reasearch it looks like the filter and fuel pump on 2008 are one integrated unit? If thats so, has anyone figured out a work around for the filter replacement that isnt going to cost me $$$. Or can you disassemble the pump and clean just the filter element? Any links to threads that have already covered this would be great.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Welcome aboard.
A clogged fuel filter is not likely at a so little mileage unless a very dirty gas was used on a regular basis.
Measuring the fuel pressure while riding would probably be a real challenge.
The filter is inside the pump for the steel tank models.
Some time ago one of us (can't remember who though) cut open the pump, suppressed the internal filter and added an inline one. The other solution is to replace the entire fuel pump (outch!).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome aboard.
A clogged fuel filter is not likely at a so little mileage unless a very dirty gas was used on a regular basis.
Measuring the fuel pressure while riding would probably be a real challenge.
The filter is inside the pump for the steel tank models.
Some time ago one of us (can't remember who though) cut open the pump, suppressed the internal filter and added an inline one. The other solution is to replace the entire fuel pump (outch!).
Is fuel pressure the most likely cause? For what its worth the interior of the tank is spotless, no corrosion visible. The bike has no other issues with fueling, starts easy, idles great, revs great, just down on power. Obviously I will report back what I find when I do plugs and air filter this week.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Is fuel pressure the most likely cause? For what its worth the interior of the tank is spotless, no corrosion visible. The bike has no other issues with fueling, starts easy, idles great, revs great, just down on power. Obviously I will report back what I find when I do plugs and air filter this week.
It's not likely. But it looks like it's starving at rev either for fuel or for air. If for air it's probably a (very) dirty air filter.
if it's for fuel then it's probbaly due to the fuel throughput being abnormally limited due to the pump or filter in it. And when the fuel throughput is limited it causes the fuel pressure to drop at some point when a high fuel throughput is needed.

What the plugs look like? pretty dry/clean or sooty?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another Sprint st1050 in the Denver area!
I just posted my intro - six months late.

Tune ECU with a quality cable will be a good help for you. You can check the current tune file for the ECU.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another Sprint st1050 in the Denver area!
I just posted my intro - six months late.

Tune ECU with a quality cable will be a good help for you. You can check the current tune file for the ECU.
If there are any "Definitive" threads about TuneECU I could read up on. Would love to not brick my bike immediately.

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
You, Skiswp and I should have a beer or a bbq. We seem to be collecting Sprint owners in Denver. Steve, when are you moving in next door? BTW, I have a TuneECU-enabled laptop and cable in my garage if you want to come plug it in. Something tells me this is something as simple as a clogged air filter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You, Skiswp and I should have a beer or a bbq. We seem to be collecting Sprint owners in Denver. Steve, when are you moving in next door? BTW, I have a TuneECU-enabled laptop and cable in my garage if you want to come plug it in. Something tells me this is something as simple as a clogged air filter.
I'm going to try and knock out everything after work tomorrow so i'll see what I find. I'd love to meet up, I havent been able to find a good group to ride with in a while.

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
Let me know if you need any help. I'm knee deep in a couple of projects (Daytona rebuild and a deck expansion) but always have time to socially distance a pint and try to sort a problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: AshleySchaefferBMW

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All right guys ....and gals??? Just did the service, sorta. Anyways I pulled the plugs and the filter. There was already an existing K&N filter but due to the bugs litterally being packed in and already having purchased a new one i just trashed it. The plugs on the bike werent in terrible shape but they were the 8's. Ive read multiple takes on pros and cons but I just put in the factory 9's. Couldnt do a compression test because my 10mm adapter isnt long enough to reach the deep seated threads. The air filter and plugs definitely woke it up on the top end. And its crackling more on the overrun 👍 . Im wondering it the bike already has the TOR exhaust, need to look up the part number and compare. I really hope it doesnt because if thats as loud as it gets im gonna have to go aftermarket. I think i'm just use to my Ducati which is absolutely brutal, so being able to hammer down in 1st 2nd and 3rd without going into unicycle mode is different. I just got my TuneECU setup so ill mess around with that tomorrow. Cheers and thanks for the input, its crazy having pleasant interactions on the internet nowadays.

Notes on the work (adult language ahead)

WHO THE **** DESIGNED THE SEAT? You really couldnt figure out a locking system that didnt involve two allen head bolts at the wrong angle, and mounted to plastic, to access the battery?

WHO THE **** DESIGNED THE TANK LOCK? You thought that a finicky nut that falls directly into the swing arm gap was the best method, and a bolt that is too long to pull out without removing the side panels (which you cant do with the luggage mounts on) was acceptable? How about a hinge and a latch...you know like a motorcycle has.
...and breathe...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts