Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going nuts about a Bonneville. Do you think it's too late in the product cycle to justify buying new?

I'm afraid they'll change it next year or something. And then the T100 is fuel injected now. Is that good?

Or should I just keep looking for a pre-1979 Bonnie?

·
Registered
54 Posts
EFI= better cold starting, better fuel delivery (usually), and better throttle response.

Minuses= not alot of downloads for mods yet and the fuel tank became a little chubbier.

I like the fact of a warranty and new tech myself, low maitenance, better materials, and still that classic look. That all adds up to more ride time to me;) So, I would buy new. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Jamo its a tough call. I went nuts too thinking about what I wanted, old or new. All i can say is I got a great deal on a 2005 T100. In retropect I am glad that I did. I ride the bike a lot and the new technology and quality is just superior. I am very happy with it.

By looking on ebay and CL for months and making many trips around my area I was able to get a nearly new bike (the exact one wanted!) with 200 miles on it for thousands less than the dealer. This at any rate made me feel better about doing it. Good luck.

·
Registered
673 Posts
All of the modern Bonnies are good bikes. If you like to do your own mods and maintenance, you may want to look at a pre-EFI bike because won't have to plug your bike into a computer everytime you change something. Jets are cheap and easy to install at home and dealers are proud of their work ($) and usually require an appointment. Also, you have to look at the fact that if you save $1,500-$2,000 buying a year old bike, you can afford to upgrade the suspension, exhaust, seat, etc and still come out for the same price as a new bike with factory (sometimes inferior) parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
All of the modern Bonnies are good bikes. If you like to do your own mods and maintenance, you may want to look at a pre-EFI bike because won't have to plug your bike into a computer everytime you change something. Jets are cheap and easy to install at home and dealers are proud of their work ($) and usually require an appointment. Also, you have to look at the fact that if you save $1,500-$2,000 buying a year old bike, you can afford to upgrade the suspension, exhaust, seat, etc and still come out for the same price as a new bike with factory (sometimes inferior) parts.

:GOODPOST:

This is the exact position I find myself in, and thos pro's and cons are exactly why I haven't fully committed to an 08 or 09.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.... upgrade the suspension, exhaust, seat, etc ......
The appeal of the modern Bonnie would include NOT having to upgrade things. Why do you think that all those upgrades are necessary?

If I were to spend money on upgrades, it wouold be a proper windscreen and set of hard bage or nice leather soft bags.

Frankly, I think Triumph has missed something in not offering a model with those features. Wouldn't it be a nice bike that way?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Given a choice, I would buy used any time. (Yes, I bought new). Bikes are so reliable these days, and if you get one with reasonable mileage and maintenance, you won't have any problems. However, at least in my area, a used Bonnie is pretty rare to find for sale. EFI might start better, true, but my carburetted 07 Bonnie has never been hard to start at all, even when it's really cold. IMHO, the old (pre-79) ones are great to look at, but they will leak oil, and they're not nearly as strong and reliable as the new ones. As nostalgic as I am for them, paying $5k for a bike that old isn't in my plans.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Or should I just keep looking for a pre-1979 Bonnie?

I assume that you mean "pre 2009" as pre 1979 is a totally different ball game.
These bikes are a good base to start with and add to in order to make it what you particulary want.
Triumph make luggage and windshields available if you so want, saves tham having a more expensive model sitting on a showroom floor somewhere. The suspension works O K for a lot of people, but not all people weigh the same or ride the same so there are companies that cater for that. Same thing for brakes, seats, exhausts etc. I bought used, put the saved $$$ into suspension and other stuff because I have fun doing that.
If you see a new bike at a dealer and you think that it is just perfect for you then that is the bike for you. As for carbs or injection, you pays your money and you takes your choice, neither is going to let you down.
Hope you find the bike for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The appeal of the modern Bonnie would include NOT having to upgrade things. Why do you think that all those upgrades are necessary?

If I were to spend money on upgrades, it wouold be a proper windscreen and set of hard bage or nice leather soft bags.

Frankly, I think Triumph has missed something in not offering a model with those features. Wouldn't it be a nice bike that way?
Different strokes for different folks. The last thing you''ll ever see on my bike is a windscreen or saddlebags.

I also plan on many mods. Big bore kit, remove the rear fender, tossing those mirrors, and so forth.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you want with your bike, just playing devils advocate.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I bought used. An '05 T-100 with 800 miles on it. I saved over $2K and never looked back. Let someone else pay for the depreciation!

·
Registered
78 Posts
2008 Warranty

This is somewhat related. I just bought a Bonnie Black on ebay. It doesn't come with any of the manuals or papers. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find out more info on the warranty? I know it's a 24 month warranty, but not sure what it covers etc etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is somewhat related. I just bought a Bonnie Black on ebay. It doesn't come with any of the manuals or papers. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find out more info on the warranty? I know it's a 24 month warranty, but not sure what it covers etc etc.
Welcome! New guy here myself.

Don't forget to post some pics of your new ride!

·
Registered
62 Posts
used or new

In my opinion, if you can afford it, go for the new one, there is NOTHING like the thrill of riding home on a brand new bike, and it's really nice to KNOW that some half asssed shade tree mechanic hasn't screwed something up that will come back later and bite you. You can probably get a deal on a left over 2008 model right now too.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
New / Used?

There re a few NICE used Bonne's out there.I think INMO 04-07 were the best made. The English made bikes has some nostalgiaa to it. You may have to look @ some distance, but keep lookking! I think you will find just what your looking for. Price is a good concern as well. The motors on these things are near bulletproof! Check tires, brakes etc.. & ride it. If it feels good- it probably is!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. The last thing you''ll ever see on my bike is a windscreen or saddlebags.

I also plan on many mods. Big bore kit, remove the rear fender, tossing those mirrors, and so forth.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you want with your bike, just playing devils advocate.
My sentiments exactly. I bought this bike because I could work on it myself and add stuff to it. That is half the fun of it. As far as windscreens and saddlebags or suspension and power upgrades, it depends on how far or fast you wanna ride. After my 3,500 mile odyssey last year, I listened to my backside and upgraded the suspension. I decided against the windscreen as it is just not as cool looking and bugs aren't that hard to pick out of your teeth. I'll take cool looking fast power over slow comfy touring any day. To each his own, that's what's cool about Bonnies.

I also agree with TBCBLUES, the feeling you get driving a new motorcycle off of the lot is incredible and hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JAMO,ive got an excellent example that would save you a bundle in the long run .ill even throw in a fancy triumph checkered flag leather jacket,,,,,,:D
I'd be happy to consider it. Can you tell me more? Tell me why you want to let it go, for example, and how many miles are on it. Maybe lead me to some excellent photos and suggest a price that makes the deal worthwhile to me.

The only thing I don't care for is the sprocket. Do you feel that a Bonneville is too slow without a sprocket?

Tell me more about those mods, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like a Vulture

I'd be happy to consider it. Can you tell me more? Tell me why you want to let it go, for example, and how many miles are on it. Maybe lead me to some excellent photos and suggest a price that makes the deal worthwhile to me.

The only thing I don't care for is the sprocket. Do you feel that a Bonneville is too slow without a sprocket?

Tell me more about those mods, if you don't mind.
Hey, Gaptooth, I'd be willing to talk to you about some of those extras whenever you and Jamo are finished.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Well... the modification bug has bitten a lot of folks in this forum. It is fantastic in the way they are having so much fun doing that. Some are even adding nitrous oxide boosters to their Bonnies.
But you can have just loads of fun with a completely stock bike too... for a long long time. I'm just offering that there may be more than one way of thinking about these things.
I've been lucky. I have a 2005 T100 that my wife got for me with 2000 miles on it. She saved a lot of money, the machine was as clean as new and there have been absolutely ZERO issues. Therefore no warranty was necessary. That will be the case with most of these machines... they are very reliable. I've modified a few things but am progressing slowly in this regard. I feel no need to make it into some sort of superbike. It has plenty of power for me. Others will feel differently and some love the experiment. Its all good no matter how you go. If you go the used route you will save money, but just take someone along who knows a lot about bikes and can give it a very thorough inspection. If you can get history on the machine all the better. If you go the new bike route I would think it best to check out the dealer first since warranty service seems to vary a lot judging by this forum.
I cannot tell you what to do but my advice would be to keep your eyes open. There are a lot of folks out there who have bought 'garage ornaments' only to sell them a couple of years later at quite a loss after having rode them very little. We also picked up a 2007 T100 with only 200 miles on it this past fall for my son. We bought it for the same price as she bought the 2005 for. It was for all practical purposes a new machine. Sure the warranty will expire this April, but more than likely we will need no warranty work anyway. Personally, in my warranty experience with cars, I'd just as soon do the work myself even if it were a warranty issue (other than major stuff). But that's just me.
If you do get a pre 1979 machine you can probably plan on working on it quite a bit of the time. I hope you are highly skilled on British bikes if you do that. There are folks who swear by them and do very well... I'm more like one who would swear AT them having had one which did not do very well.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...well... I'm more like one who would swear AT them having had one which did not do very well.
Yes, I'm concerned that would hapen to me also. I'm a little concerned also that the new Bonnie might not have the power I might want, not that I need a great deal, but I do like to zip around traffic quite a bit. Like on my Tiger. But I know a Bonnie won't keep up with a Tiger.

·
Registered
57 Posts
buy a new one..fuel injection

I would buy a new one. I am sure they will have some "deals" on them. The fuel injection is great. Take care of it and it will last you a looooooooooong time!!

Let us all know what color you get!!
Mr. Pete--->
aging hippie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts