Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By way of introduction:

I'm a new old guy who has ridden about 40,000 mile a year for the last 10 years and is lucky enough to live in motorcycle heaven (the Ozarks - Arkansas/ Missouri border). I've read the stickies, at 58 am older than dirt (and most other Sprint riders who only claim to be old) :), and have been riding for over 35 years with gloves, helmet, jacket, boots, and sometimes pants :rolleyes:.

My last Triumph was a 1969 Bonne that I absolutly hated - never knew when or even whether I was going to make it to work:eek:! The new Sprint is IMPRESSIVE.:cool:

My other bikes:
1975 MotoGuzzi 850T
1998 Honda Valkyrie
2000 BMW K1200LT
2003 Aprilia Tuono Race
2004 BMW R1150RS
2006 MV Agusta Brutale
2006 Honda ST1300
2007 Ducati MTS 1100S
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Hello and welcome

And I, for one, bow to your age:D

Nice list of past 'conquests' and if YOU like the ST, then she must be as good as I think it is!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome

And I, for one, bow to your age:D

Nice list of past 'conquests' and if YOU like the ST, then she must be as good as I think it is!

Thanks, those are all current bikes - past ones are too numerous to post. :D.......... I need a spreadsheet to keep track of tires and oil changes :D.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Well it would really be bad manners for one old guy not to welcome another. Glad to have you in the mad house.

That is quite a choice stable you have listed there. Some of them are bikes that I have lusted after.

But I gotta tell ya that 58 isn't old from my perspective. Anyway, old is just a state of mind, and I have an idea that you are just as young at heart as Ratboy and the rest of the crew. :D

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
But I gotta tell ya that 58 isn't old from my perspective. Anyway, old is just a state of mind, and I have an idea that you are just as young at heart as Ratboy and the rest of the crew. :D
:bow:

YOu're spot on OnD with the 'spirit' of it all

By the way, yours for a bbq next April?;)

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
WelcomeTPadden,
58 old? Na. in 44 years I don't think I've ridden with pants. I've found them to be too restrictive:beerchug:

Welcome aboard,

Don

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Always ...... even if it's just to help keep my sons from stealing them .......:eek: Tom
Welcome to the forum Tom, from one young-at-heart guy to another.

Looking at your avatar, I figured that's what the pooch was for - to keep your kids at bay - or in line.:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow! Fantastic list of bikes!

When's the LT due to be back in the stable?
Turns out I was very lucky, stopped quick enough to save the rear drive - replacing rear bearing and seal and ABS ring (waiting for ABS ring). Should be around $500 total then it's up for sale.

Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the forum Tom, from one young-at-heart guy to another.

Looking at your avatar, I figured that's what the pooch was for - to keep your kids at bay - or in line.:D
Like bikes, I have a full stable - we have 6 Shepherds - 5 Belgian Malinois and 1 German; the German is the wimp of the pack! The "kids" are in their 30's :D.

Tom

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Man you have an impressive list of bikes...... Welcome to the forum.

BTW, Since I am here in Alberta whre abouts was that sign? I take it was a southern Alberta sign. That would be some trip from your area of the states. Its also nice to see that you have the bike on a single lane highway and not that giant strip of 4 lane super slab that goes up the center of Alberta. You miss to much of the beauty on the #2.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man you have an impressive list of bikes...... Welcome to the forum.

BTW, Since I am here in Alberta whre abouts was that sign? ......
Thanks -southern is right but not sure where ....... the LT did get away from civilization. My favorite was the Yukon World Famous Destruction Bay Glacier Creek Professional Golf Course :D ........

Tom

·
Registered
76 Posts
WOW....GREAT stable of bikes! I'll be spending my 57th birthday on the track at Talladega, doing a riders school as I get ready for a season of Thruxton Cup (now Trans-Atlantic Challenge Cup) racing. I traded a 2005 R12GS in on my '08 Sprint ST (abs) after it broke down one time too many. That said, I had ridden it to Alaska for the 2nd time earlier this year, this time starting in Tierra del Fuego, Ushuaia, Argentina. I too am moto-possesed, my current line up;

'08 Sprint ST
'08 Thruxton race bike
'68 T120 Bonneville
'83 Guzzi LeMans MkIII
'75 850 Commando MkIII
'73 VR 880 Kenny Dreer Commando
'01 XR400R Honda (plated)
?? 348 Cota Trials bike
(and still kicking myself for selling the 900SS Bevel Drive Duc)

here's a link to the MotoAmericas ride...I updated the blog as I rode north

www.motoamericas.com

cheers,

Eric

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
That is one impressive ride and one that I am not sure I have heard of being done by to many Americans. It is a hugely respected ride from here in Edmonton which would probably be the halfway point from where you guys are. I might be off there but probably pretty close.

Everyone I know who did that ride was on a VStrom or the like BUT Ulsterspud and some other trat members have done it as well and Ulster was on his 2006 Sprint ST and I believe there was an older Sprint 885cc and possible a Trophy. I could be wrong about the Trophy. If Ulster reads this he may chime in.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Welcome! And I agree with you about the S. MO/N. AR area. My family lives in Springfield, MO and when I go to see them, I look forward to taking a full day to ride the back roads to get there. What are your favorite roads in S. MO/N. AR? I hope you enjoy your Sprint and that it proves to be more reliable than your previous Triumph bike. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome! And I agree with you about the S. MO/N. AR area. My family lives in Springfield, MO and when I go to see them, I look forward to taking a full day to ride the back roads to get there. What are your favorite roads in S. MO/N. AR? I hope you enjoy your Sprint and that it proves to be more reliable than your previous Triumph bike. :D
125 from Peel/Protem to Sparta is always fun, 341 (Push Mountain), 9 from Allison to Melbourne, 27 Marshall to Dover, 21/16 out of Jasper, heck it's all good - much easier to list the bad road (5 from Gainesville to Mansfield).

I occasionally ride with the St Louis HSTA group, fun guys, Potosi P-DD to Bixbey, etc. :D:D.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts