Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the triumph family starting Friday. I have only had 1 bike before and it was an 82 kawasaki 750 csr. It was fun but I never did anything smart such as buying protective gear. Now that I'll be riding a 2001 Speed Triple I figure it is time to invest.
The problem is that I'm so new to motorcycling I'm not sure which of the brands are good and long lasting.
I want suggestions on a Jacket, gloves, pants, boots/shoes and whatever else.
Keep in mind that I'm in college thus I'm a poor college student haha
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would look at the Tourmaster Air Intake 2 jacket. It is a great three season jacket at a very reasonable price. As far as boots, it depends on your style, but I like the Ariat Alloy for an engineer boot.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My current favorite for decent quality affordable gear is Scorpion. Other brands to look for are Cortech, Firstgear, & Teknic among others. Sidi makes great boots, but pricey.

Oh yeah, wear earplugs - I like the Howard Leight laser-lite disposable plugs. I think you can get a box of 200 for $20.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Scropion helmet, Sidi boots, Olympia gloves are all good investments. I've been using them for years and have been very happy with the price and quality. Sidi boots are a bit more expensive; but I have worn a lot of boots; and, in my opinion, Sidi makes some of the best ones out there. As for jackets, take your pick. There is a lot to choose from. Olympia makes a good high-visibility jacket. Cheers!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Triumph makes some really good gear as well. A little more on the $$$ side - but well worth it. Olympia, Scorpion, Tourmaster, Cortech, Firstgear all good stuff at a reasonable price. Make sure to by yourself some decent riding pants with armor - a lot of people seem to skip the pants. Strange since you have a lot more surface area on your ass and legs, than your upper body.
Alpinestars, Rev it, very nice stuff at a high price.
Joe rocket = Junk. Stay away. Anything I've owned by them has fallen apart. JMHO.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Quality gear is available at bargain prices if you shop around. Always check out the closeouts at the online merchants and your local Cycle Gear store. Some online stores I like for gear are motorcyclecloseouts.com, motorcyclegear.com, and ironpony.com.

Personally, I like Firstgear, Cortech, and Teknic for jckets and pants. Joe Rocket used to be cheaply made, but their quality has improved significantly in recent years. I recently boought a pair of Fieldsheer Bullet II gloves I like quite a lot, but my favorites are Teknic Speedstars (unfortunately no longer made). Raace boots from one of the major manufacturers (Sidi, TCS, Alpinstars, etc.) are safest, but not very practical off the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the advice. My next paycheck is going towards some gear. Probably gloves, jacket and pants first. I appreciate the website advice too. My hometown only has a Harley store that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Get the best helmet you can afford.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Don't forget to check craigslist - there are always ads like: 'sold bike, now selling all my gear' or 'bought R1, selling closet full of CBR labelled gear'...

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I always look for closeouts or lightly used gear on ebay and craigslist. Some places on the 'net with good deals to watch are motorcyclesuperstore, newenough, Ironpony, and motorcyclecloseouts.

I've managed to get full leather pants (Fieldsheer) for $60 at Iron Pony

Textile pants from newenough on ebay for $20

Leather jacket (Fieldsheer) from Iron Pony for $100

Firstgear textile jacket from motorcyclesuperstore for $70

It also helps to buy things off season. Buy summer gear in the winter and warmer gear during the summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts