Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
29,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this year I wandered along to a gig at the request of one of my friends.

The artist was a blues guitarist by the name of Joe Bonomassa.

I wasn't that excited about going to be honest, but when he started to play I was instantly hooked - had to buy his entire back catalogue of albums as soon as I left the gig, and I have been grooving to his tunes ever since - he just rocks, man!

It's funny how music can grab you that way - I'm not normally interested in blues at all, but something about this guys music really does it for me.

So - have any of you happened upon a musical artist (whether brand new or already well established) that just made you sit back and go "wow"!

eh?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Favorite artist

I am an anomaly. I moved to Nashville 20 years ago and quit playing music. I have widely varied musical taste. I have played classical, rock, country, bluegrass, blues, and jazz, and used to write some myself. Unfortunately I don't get out to hear as much music as I once did but here are just a few of my favorites from over the years. You can google any of them to hear some samples.

I got turned onto Otmar Liebert (flamenco guitar) several years ago. His bass player is about as awesome as he is.

Paul Thorn (indie rock/country/folk) is another of my favorites and plays locally. His music is a great blend of southern roots music from ballads to comical song (where was I, mission temple fireworks stand).

Richard Thompson (folk/rock) has been a favorite of mine for many years now. His catalog goes back decades and will be very familiar to many of our buddies across the pond.

Pops

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I first heard Joe Bonomassa on my Pandora.com blues station (HiDesert blues, if there are any other Pandora members here). He's fantastic. I'd love to hear him in person.

Keb Mo gave me a reaction like that, but that was just a CD. I'd like to hear him in person too.

·
29,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he is a brilliant live artist, if he comes your way definitely go and see him - the gig was a lot of fun, and I know I'll go again!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Thanks for turning me to Joe. I downloaded his latest album from iTunes. Great music. Considering the album was recorded live, it's extraordinary.

·
29,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you get "Live from Nowhere in Particular"? I can't get enough of that album - basically the same set that I saw him perform this year. I just get enraptured by "India/Mountain Time" and "Ball Peen Hammer", not to mention his very superb rendition of Jethro Tull's "A new day yesterday", and in fact all the other tracks too.

"A new day yesterday Live" is pretty kickass as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Deadbolt

if your into groovy back beats check out DEADBOLT. It may be a bit too b movie for some but if you give it a chance you may just be playing at your next backyard bbq party.
Dont say I didnt warn you.

·
Registered
265 Posts

So - have any of you happened upon a musical artist (whether brand new or already well established) that just made you sit back and go "wow"!

eh?
Happens to me all the time and I'm pretty critical in what I like in music. My most memorable WOW moment was one night I went to Austin for a business meeting , mid week. I came out of the meeting around 10pm, really PO'd over what went down. Decided to go over to a local well known blues club, drink a beer, listen to some blues, and settle down before I drove back home. The marquee oustside said JUNIOR BROWN TONIGHT. Never heard of him but sounded like a good blues player name, paid 5 bucks went in. Only about 15 people in the whole place, got right up by the stage. Here was this guy in suit and tie and a Roy Rogers cowboy hat setting up to play. He had a double guitar that was half lapsteel, half electric guitar. I remember thinking this is some kind of midweek amatuer hour and this cowpoke is trying to learn to play his hybrid guitar and I'm paying him 5 bucks to practice. When he started playing it became immediately apparent that this dude knew exactly what he was doing and then some. I stayed way longer than I needed to and drank more beers than I needed to. Now, anytime Junior Brown gets within a hundred miles of me, I pay whatever it takes to go see him, he's just on a different level than just about any other guitar player you can think of and you need to see him live to understand.

Also another WOW band for me is Los Straitjackets.....they're cool too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As for Wow moments, I can think of three:
-When my high school music teacher played the 2112 album from Rush.
-Stevie Ray Vaughn opening for Huey Lewis back in 85(?) My first taste of blues/rock. (I had no Idea at the time that Zepplin's songs were mostly blues copies)
-BB King playing "Why I sing the Blues" at the US Festival. I've been hooked on blues guitar ever since.

Others bands I've been listening to lately are "Indigenous" (Great blues guitar) and Back Door Slam ( Blues from the Isle of Mann) and Wes Jeans (loud Texas blues/rock/funk).

I saw Joe B. at a small concert hall this spring, and he awsome! I use the intro to "Bridge to Better Days" as my ringtone.
Can't wait until he comes back around in March.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts