Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am almost ready for a new set of rubber and I was doing a little reaserch and found these.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ontigo_en.html

Continental ContiGO!

They are priced about the same as the Avon AM26's I am currently running. Has anyone run these or has anyone heard of them?
I just got a set of the Avons. How many miles did you get out of them? Also, how did you like them? My first few trips with them felt kinda squirrely, but I just figured that was because they were new.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am almost ready for a new set of rubber and I was doing a little reaserch and found these.

http://www.conti-online.com/generat...rcycletires/allround/conti_go/contigo_en.htmlContinental ContiGO! They are priced about the same as the Avon AM26's I am currently running. Has anyone run these or has anyone heard of them?

Hi ya... I had a set of ContiForce on my 996 SuperHawk, and they never lost their grip. That bike was a torque monster with over 100 hp at the back wheel. Great tires... inexpensive, good grip, and high mileage.

I don't have any experience with the ContiGo's, but they look pretty good too.

I'm also shopping for tires to replace the OEM Metzelers (maybe prematurely), and I've tried 'em all over the years. Pirellli, Dunlop, Metzeler, Michelin, Bridgestone....even Ching Shen Maxxis!

Really not a awful tire in the bunch. Some were expensive, some cheap, some gripped really well and some just OK. Mileage varies with how you ride, and with proper inflation IMHO.

Still, I'm looking at the ContiForce's again for the Thruxton. The rims seem wide enough for some more serious rubber. Here's the link to the sizing applications.

http://www.conti-online.com/generat...etires/sport_touring/force/contiforce_en.html

I will likely put these sizes on (Bumping up both ends a size or 2):

Rear: 150/70 ZR 17 M/C 69 W TL
Front: 110/80 ZR 18 M/C 58 W TL

Cheers,
BLIGHT:motorbike:

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
I just got a set of the Avons. How many miles did you get out of them? Also, how did you like them? My first few trips with them felt kinda squirrely, but I just figured that was because they were new.
same here, after a lot of research got a set of Avon roadriders this week, first few trips they felt a bit funny but now have settled in nicely. much better than the stock Metzler ME2Z that was on the rear, which I found very squirrely. dont know what they will be like in the wet, time will tell. will be interested to here how the Conti's perform.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Try the Kenda Kruz 673s. They're half the price and a better tire. Are the Avon tires 6 ply or 4 ply?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know it has been a while since the last post on this thread but how are hte Conti tires doing?? I just ordered a set of Avons but the ContiGo is an interesting alternative for my next set or single tire purchase.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Tires..

I've had the opportunity to test the Avon Roadriders out in some really pouring down cats'n'dogs conditions and found them to be fine.

Both tires tend to drift when you go too hard in the streaming wet, but they didn't let go, so I was happy. It was on a twisty back road and we weren't mucking around, the other guy and I were going pretty quick for the conditions.

In damp conditions with patches of alternate wet and drier spots on the road the tires hang on just fine. As a matter of fact, I was going just as hard as I do in the dry in those conditions without any drama.

I've got "reverse chicken strips" on the front tire, ie: the sides are wearing faster than the middle.

No cupping is evident so far, and the rubber is as sticky as hell after a hard ride. Overall, I think that the Avon is a very good tire....especially for the front end of the bike, as they are so 'grippy' and hang onto the road like they have micro-claws ... :eek: :D

I've never had the rear step out except when I cause it to do so.

On Friday I went for a ride and went through a set of high speed corners really quickly. On a tight left hander I went in waaaay too hot and tipped the Bonny in hard as I hung off the side. Everything on the left side touched down and I went into a big drift towards the center line of the road. There wasn't much I could do except wait and see if the tires held on...or not. :eek:

I left two big solid scrape marks right across the lane on the road, but was able to power her out before I crossed the center of the road, the tires never let go ! That's what I call tenacious grip !

I went back after the run and looked at the corner where I grounded out. The lines on the road were evidence as to how hard I had grounded the header pipe and side stand.

Avon Roadrider. = Damn good tires....:D

S.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Cant stand Conti tires.

I have the stock Metzlers on and am in the market for new tires. I noticed that the Michelin Pilot Activ's come in the Bonnie's sizes so I am tossed between the Avon's and the Michelins.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats a great report Sp00ky. It just reenforces my decision to go with Avons. How many miles can I expect from them?

Caliway, why do you hate Contis?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thats a great report Sp00ky. It just reenforces my decision to go with Avons. How many miles can I expect from them?

Dunno ... there are too many variables to say. It depends on so many things....how you ride, where you ride, road surfaces, heat, cold, etc...etc..

For me, I would be happy to get 7 to 9 out of mine, but I fear that my front tire is getting such a hard time that it could be history in 5.

S.

·
Registered
2007 Bonnie Black, 2009 BMW RT, 2018 Bonneville T120, 2019 Kawasaki z900rs CAFE
259 Posts
I put the AM26 tires on @ 9,500 miles. Was really pleased with the improvement over the oe Metzler's.
Now have 13K miles & am juuust starting to notice a slight change in the feel/grip. Tread still looks fine, though I'm seeing some small splits deep in the center grooves of the rear tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts