Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all Im new to triumph rat

Im farely new to biking 6 months so far. Own a nice example of the trophy 900 its a 1992 Model only done 9000 Miles and had 3 owners from new, no accident damage LOL until now...

Its a beauty. However Problem is>.......

im going to search through the forums and site after posting this but maybe one of you guys can help me out too.

Like a proper knob today i was parking my trophy 900 and thought it would be better on its side than on the stand so i dropped it. OOOOOPPPS.

Prob i have is that i smashed the RHside Indicator and require a replacement im happy removing and refitting but not sure where is best to buy one i live in the UK.

2nd problem - When i press the electric start button on the bike i get a nasty metallic clunky grating noise and it takes a while for the bike to fire (STARTING PROBLEM) - i suspect it maybe the starter motor but before i get out the haynes manual and start ripping it to inspect clean replace etc. maybe someone else has heard this on their bike and can offer some advice.

Take it easy everyone. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Finding a color matched factory lite may prove difficult. Go aftermarket. There's plenty of stalk style indicators for not alot of money, probably less than one stock replacement. Just my opinion.
Welcome to the club.
These bikes are rather top heavy. They ride and handle well under speed(watch out for wind gusts)but I have never had a more difficult bike to manuver at walking speed and less, she just wants to lay down!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply

It was so funny when I lots the balance and the bike just went funny thing is when it happens you just look around to see if anyone saw you but that didn't matter for me as a guy came running over to help me lift it back up phew

he told me it happened to him a few times too lol.

ive ridden especially in the past couple of weeks in some bad weather - the wind a couple of days ago was terrible kept trying to throw me all over the road, I find when the wind gets too bad if you tuck yourself into the bike its a little easier to handle.

once again thanks for your help - take it easy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks trophy norway

ill have to measure the screen not sure if it is the standard 24" but it probably is.

The Problem im getting with the starting im not sure if it is the battery, I will check the voltage and find out if it is low.

However the problem im getting is like a clunky grating metal sound, It sounds like the starter motor is trying to turn and the noise is as if cogs are missing teeth and not turning properly and just grating.

Any one with knowlege of this noise or problem would help me to come forward.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome!,

What Ever you do...please check the older posts available here!

Your discription of what the starter sounds like when turning the motor over is...Not Good. If this were my bike, I would get the motor warm and change the oil so I could examine it for metal shavings.
If you find metal shavings, Do what ever it takes to identify the source of them.
The Trophy's oil lubricates everything in the engine and tranny. It is extremely important to keep it clean in order to prevent excessive wear.

Cheer's,
Tom.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does it actually sound like its in the starter? have you put your lug'ole near it? (ear to our american cousins)
Could it be a couple of missing teeth? sounds poss!
So does the noise cease when the bikes running, and the starter has retracted?
By the way , welcome mate!
Hope all is well in the end,and take care,winter roads and a top heavy bike ,you know the rest! :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome mate! :-D
I have also had to replace indicators a few times myself :)
I bought mine from Triumphant http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/
Might be worth you contacting them if your starter motor is on it's way out :(
Also checkout the Triumph Trophy group on Yahoo. Always picking up good tips from the guys and if you post a question, someone always has the answer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts