Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Josh and I'm located near Moline Ill. At the end of last summer I purchased a 79 Bonneville. This weekend i am taking a motorcycle safety course and look forward to riding this summer. I also look forward to coming to this site and participating on this board.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Really a clean example of a Meriden motorcycle. Good luck with it - and don't forget a good sense of humor makes this better LOL!
Notice it has no turn signals - legal in your state?
Never had 'em on my old bikes but do now. Found I'm rather fond of them.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hello Josh,

Welcome to the forum. Very nice bike you have there as well.

If you are taking the Motorcycle Safty Foundation course, which
is highly recommended for new riders, good luck. Most people
pass, lets say 98 percent. If you are a new rider you will walk
and ride away with knowledge that takes 2 years to get just
riding around. You will be a much better rider in the end also.

And let us know how class went.

Pookybear

·
Registered
601 Posts
Welcome josh; nice bike.

Many new members with later 70s OIF Triumphs checking in lately...
Of course Paul,

The OIF bikes really like to go through corners on a rising throttle.
And the Rita system works good as well. So the question would be
why not a later OIF?

Pookybear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the welcome. I passed the course over the weekend, rained all day yesterday which i liked because now i feel more comfortable riding in those conditions. My favorite part of the course was the 90 and 130 degree turns, slow in fast out, those were fun. I have to say the biggest thing that i walked away remembering is keep your head and eyes UP! To answer your questions i do have to get turn signals and a mirror, i've been searching a few places but still havent found the deal i'm looking for. I also snagged a grab rail for the back i intend to put on.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You definitely need that rear grab rail as it's also your fender support. The fender will vibrate a lot like it sits now. As far as blinkers go, just keep looking. The real ones are MUCH better than most of the inexpensive replacements for that bike. Be ready to have to re-tighten them fairly regularly, though. Mirror should be easy.

Nice looking OIF, btw ...

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Belated welcome. Looks like you found yourself a nicely kept bike. The MSF course has taught you about riding. The bike will now teach you about mechanics.
Enjoy the ride.
regards,
Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts