Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle.

I have been riding continuously for over 30 years now and have recently decided to add a Tiger 955i to my garage. I collect it at the beginning of next month. I have a VFR for playing on and intend to use the Tiger for longer two up trips and holidays.

I have been lurking for a while and as a result of reading your posts I have decided to add a front fender extender to keep the ***** off the front pipes, a Givi top box, an automatic chain oiler and Touratech engine guards in case I drop it.

So, the bike comes with side cases, heated grips and a centre stand. What else must I have?

By the way, the Touratech engine guards are one hell of a price. Can anyone recommend a supplier in the UK other than Touratech? :razz:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Welcome Sye :cool:
Touratech bars are pricey, but the way I looked at it was this. Whenever you see any for sale on Ebay, they go for £140 or so, even 2nd hand if in good order. I reckon on getting at least £100 for mine when I sell the bike in the distant future, so it isn't so dear after all.
As for what else you need - get a road map so you can get away from the Wirral - it's only Liverpool with a CH postcode, anyway! :razz: :razz: :razz:
Only joking..
Get the relays from Tiger Online to make it a twin headlight dip and mainbeam - best ( and one of the smallest)investment you can make.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skidpan, is it that easy to modify the headlights? I did it on my VFR no problem, however when you look at the Tiger headlamp it looks as if there is only one lense with the kick to the left so to speak. That would mean the beam spread on the other lamp would be all over the place.

By the way, I agree with the postcode thing. I am L8, then L18, then L20, then L26, CH41 and finaly CH60. The further away the better maybe?

[ This message was edited by: Sye on 2007-02-21 15:51 ]

·
Registered
783 Posts
I went for Fehling direct from Germany. Very similar to Touratech and cheaper for me in Oz.

Fehling

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi Sye !! Welcome to the Fun Forum !! one item i would get is a Hugger !! keeps all the crud off the rear shock !! if you go to the top of the page, in Album you will see loads of great stuff for the Tiger.

Enjoy yer noo Tigger !!

KK :cool:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
On 2007-02-21 16:12, zadok_oz wrote:
I went for Fehling direct from Germany. Very similar to Touratech and cheaper for me in Oz.

Fehling
Triumph Online are doing these in the UK for 75 quid. They look fine to me, but being a cheapskate I haven't gone for them yet.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had a close look at the photos and I cannot see any lower mounting point for these crash bars. Maybe they don't need it?

Triumph Online also show a preview phot of a bash plate soon to be available for the 955i.

Jon

·
Registered
305 Posts
Changing to twin lights is a really easy job. The headlight spread with both lights on seems fine - I have had no issues with oncoming traffic since I did mine. I haven't had it MOTed with them like this, though. I plan on leaving it on twin lights at the MOT and seeing what happens - if it fails for the light spread, I could fix it back to standard there and then if I take the (very) few tools needed to change it back with me. :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi,

I see you are local to me.

I have done most of the upgrades including:
mudguard extenders
givi top box
baglux tank cover and tank bag
touratech engine bars
headlight relays
philips vision plus bulbs
dash LED's
fiamm horns
blue flame can
centre stand locknuts
MRA vario screen
Pannier inner bags
Hugger

You are welcome to come over and talk tigers, just send me an email with some info.

There are at least 3 more tigers in the Heswall area.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Arrybash, we have a couple of friends in common. I live in Heswall too. I have known Mogsy for over 15 years and was speaking to him last night when you came up in conversation. I have also known Jeff for a few years.

It is indeed a very small world. Look forward to meeting you.

Sye

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sye
I recommend mirror extenders from Jack Lilley.About £20 and they significantly reduce buffeting and provide better vision.
A hugger is a must.
You will find a difference to the VFR,much stronger torque but the bike will feel twice as big.No problem once you're rolling and very comfy for touring.
This weekend is the UK official launch of the 1050 Tiger and all the dealers are having open days. Suggest you pop along to either Bill Smiths or Woods and you will meet lots of Triumph owners. Personally I highly recommend Woods as friendly genuine people.They've won customer care award for the last 3 years. Plus you have some great biking roads to sample. I have a test ride booked on Saturday and am hoping for dry weather (otherwise no test rides allowed). Also worth attending a RAT event which you can find details of on dealer or Triumph website.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John, thanks for the advice. I have already owned some big bikes, the last was a 1200GS but couldn't justify the cost so I sold it.

I have test ridden the Tiger 1050 and don't have a bad word to say about it. It just didn't tick all the boxes. It's a very quick well built comfy road bike but then again so are so many others, including my VFR. That's not what I am looking for.

I agree with what you say about Woods, what a great dealership. I often call in there on the way back from a ride to Wales for a nose and a cup of coffee.

The hugger is on my list but good grief what a price. I have a NWS hugger on the VFR and would probably go for them again but £137 for carbon is a bit steep. I will have to save up I think.

Thanks for the good advice John.

Sye

[ This message was edited by: Sye on 2007-02-23 07:06 ]

·
Registered
540 Posts
I bought a gloss black hugger from NWS and I think it was £90 and it looks tidy and well made. I have the Touratech engine bars and they blend with the bike and give peace of mind.At 5"10" the Tiger is tall for me although (touch wood) so far I've kept it upright.Tomorrows test ride is the Tiger followed by the S3. I suspect I will prefer the S3 as this was the bike I intended to buy before the missus decided to try pillion (and liked it). The cost of putting all the extra on a new Tiger probably means that a good 2ndhand 2005 S3 would be similar money. So I could face a dilemma,mind you the weather forecast is not too promising so fingers crossed for tomorrow. I've bought 3 of my bikes from Woods and they are a pleasure to deal with. The Tiger is close to the big 12000 mile service so they will be getting my business in some form.

·
Registered
321 Posts
John,

You live in Warrington and yet go to Woods in North Wales to get your Tigers.

I live in Heswall and went to Stockport Motorcycle Centre to get mine.

Why Woods?

I tried Woods, wouldn't give me the deal I wanted, hence I walked away.

Can't fault Stockport at all and the deal they gave me was excellent see thread

The deal

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's a tricky one searching for the best deal.I have a couple of mates who always buy at the cheapest price even if they are not confident about aftersales service. That's fair enough. I think it's probably true that Woods are not absolutely the cheapest,and at £7000 with the good specification I thought the Tiger was good value. Mine was actually an ex-demo with only 350 miles on the clock and had the gel seat. I paid £6300 and the part-ex on my Daytona was realistic. I would be prepared to pay a little more with Woods because I know he is genuine and his service is excellent. He's replaced the front discs twice under warranty with absolutely no argument (I know some dealers have been less willing). My bike is due the major service and I booked it today.Woods advised that they need the bike the day before as the valve clearances need to be checked when the engine is completely cold (not all dealers would be so particular).As I live 65 miles away they will collect the bike when they are delivering in the area. I think little things like this are important. By the way they are selling the last of the old model Tiger for £6200 which is a lot of bike for the money. One of our group has today traded his nearly new R1 for a 1050 Tiger and did the deal at Woods. I've heard good reports about Stockport as well. I guess as I've been a Woods customer for 10 years I'd rather stay with them because they treat me well and always make customers welcome. The important thing is to find a good dealer.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm not as patriotic as you, I tend to go for the best deal. But if like a dealer I will try to get him to match my best price.

My 12,000 service is also due soon, but I am going to do it myself. Which is why I was at Bills Smiths today to get the air filter.

They had seven 07 tigers around. Six on display of which 4 were sold and a demo. Whilst I was there I thought I would check out a deal. £4,700 for mine against a new one. Seems OK, but not I,m really ready to change mine yet.

They offered me a go on the demo if I was prepared to wait half an hour but I didn't have enough time. I will take them up another time though.

When I spoke to Stockport about the 12,000 service (mines only done 6,100 miles), they advised they never bother to check the valves at 12,000 miles as they have never yet seen one require adjusting. They said they will do it if you ask them, but of course this puts the service cost up.

But as I plan on doing it myself I managed to pick up the special tool on Ebay a couple of months ago.

The Triumph oil filter is £7, the air filter is £25, but the fuel filter is £30!!!!.

I've just ordered the fuel filter from Triumph-tiger-online for £10!!!

I just need to get the oil ordered (from Ebay of course).

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris, how difficult would it be to fabricate the valve shim tool and would it be worth it?

·
Registered
321 Posts
It is comprises a machined flat plate with holes in it and 2 L shaped legs and some metric bolts.

The components have clearly been milled from plate steel.

You could make one but you would need acces to a milling machine.

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It would be worth it if it's expensive. I don't have access to a milling machine but I know a man who does :-D :wink:

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you have access to a milling machine and can get some 12.5mm steel plate it would be easy to make a set.

You would need 12.5mm plate to start with but the finish thickness is 10mm. You would need to remove 2.5mm, but thats the mill scale anyway.

You could probably set up a small business as Triumph charge nearly £70!!

Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts