Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I recently bought a '00 speed triple on impulse! It was a warm day and got the urge to buy a bike. I have a KTM 525 supermoto also but the gearbox is damaged and I've not done anything with it for a couple of years.

The triple is great and it superb condition with only 5k on the clock it is almost a new bike to me.

The handling will take some getting used after riding light bikes. I need to adjust my style. I've found for central london use the suspension is a little too firm. I'm trying to dial in the 'softer' settings as specified in the manual. I'm a little confused as the manual measures it in turns and I'm used to clicks. The front spring pre-load for example needs to be 6.00 turns. Does a turn mean a 360 degree rotation or a 180?

I assume 180 but I can only seem to dial in about 5.50 as the adjuster does not go that far.

I'm also considering a race can. I'm not interested in more volume but I find the FI system a little snatchy below 4k. As I'm often in this range in traffic I'd like to get it remapped better. Does a different can help with this?

Many thanks. Hope to post more soon.

Neil

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
Welcome Neil

Please revisit you UserCP and update your profile with your year/model ('00 S3) under favourite bike and your location. This will serve as instant identifiers in the left margin for future questions.

turns are 360.

Note that at the top, the preload is the larger diameter adjuster with the two flats; the rebound damping adjuster is the screw in the middle.

However you should simply set the preload for the correct sag for your weight. Do not take off pre-load to make your suspension 'softer'.
To make the suspension more compliant focus on the compression damping (the screw at the bottom of the fork legs). Less damping will make the fork react quicker to bumps, too much will make it too firm.
Rebound (top screw) you want to adjust so you have some smooth rebound, still damped, but not overly slow.

Here's an excellent guide for you.

http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

For your exhaust, after installing an after-market unit, visit your dealer to have them upload the off-road tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats man! I just bought an '00 speed triple myself. Although I had planned to buy a bike, I too was sold immediately when I saw the Triumph. 26k on mine and it ended up needed some work.

To the point.... I was also confused to not have any clicks, especially when it says "ten" on the adjuster. Has anyone heard of loosing adjustment? Mine only turns 5-6 times too, suggesting 180 degrees per unit of adjustment.

Also, Rawhide. Any chance you could tell me the manual suggestions for me (145 lbs)? I can't seem to get my hands on an owner's manual and the Haynes manual doesn't say.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I love my '00 Speed Triple, but it doesn't have the most compliant of suspensions. It isn't noticeable most of the time but a series of long trips (500+ miles) convinced me I wanted a sports tourer. Enjoy and Congrats!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts