Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Everyone,
My names Bill, i've just bought a 1200 Daytona (still havn't taken delivery). I've been after one of these things for a long time, always had a soft spot for the big beasts and now i own one!
It's got 69000km's on the clock, about 40000 miles i think. So i'd say it'll be needing a bit of TLC in the suspension department before long. I havn't found the search button yet (the next thing on my list after this message) but i'm looking for maintenance info, accessories companies, and of course any issues these bikes have that i should keep an eye out for.
Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Welcome, Mate! :upthumb:

·
Registered
828 Posts
yeah welcome to the nut factory...oh yeah ..there are a few nice people here that have some good info too....have fun with the new 1200....thats a old classic that i wouldnt mind having either...

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Welcome OldDog, we have a lot to tell if you're interested.
First thing you'll want to do is find out if the coils are original or have been replaced. They're located on the upper frame spine above the carburetors, you'll have to remove the tank to inspect them. The factory units were cr*p and usually fry at around 30,000 miles (48,000 km). If that's sorted and since you've got the tank off already then you'll want to check the rubber boots between the carbs and the engine. With your bike's age they should probably be replaced by now as they tend to crack badly.
I just finished doing a complete fuel system overhaul on my 96 Daytona 12 (at 64,000 miles) because I had issues with rust in the tank so my carbs were a mess. Runs like new now though!

They're great bikes but they're not GSXR's. It's too heavy to be a serious sport bike. I've turned mine into a sport-tourer which is really what this bike is. I upgraded my suspension which was shot also at around 30,000 miles with Race Tech fork springs and Gold Valves and a Penske shock. Both completely transformed the bike's handling.

Let us know if you need any tips or advise, there are a lot of us who just like to ramble on and on and on about this mod and that rebuild and so on and so on and this new accessory...

:hihi:

cheers,
dc

[ This message was edited by: daytonacharlie on 2007-02-08 07:46 ]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank for the welcome Gents, and thanks DC for all that info! I'm all ears and will listen to any advice about the big beast.
Are parts like the boots still easily available? What sort of coils should i replace the stock ones with?
I've only recently sold my modified ZX-12, so i'm over that whole super speed, cramped riding position thing, so for this bike it's going to be more sport touring orientated. So far i'm thinking of putting the clip-ons on top of the triple clamp and maybe finding some rearsets, oh and probably a comfy seat!
Thanks and keep the info rollin in
:-D

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
On 2007-02-09 01:19, OldDog wrote:
Are parts like the boots still easily available? What sort of coils should i replace the stock ones with?
So far i'm thinking of putting the clip-ons on top of the triple clamp and maybe finding some rearsets, oh and probably a comfy seat!
O.D.,
The carb boots were available from my dealer who amazingly had them in stock, aprox. $7 usd. So far I have never had a problem getting parts for this bike.

I replaced my coils with ones from Nology, part # 152 001 070. These were recommended to me as being high quality and so far they've worked perfectly.

I tried the clip ons on top of the triple clamps for a while but eventually replaced the bars with Covnertibars
for a much broader range of adjustment.

My seat is a Corbin Canyon Dual Sport. I had it about five years and the seat cover began splitting in several places (normal wear supposedly) but had it re-covered by Sargent who did a fabulous job.

These are all companies located here in the states so I can't say what their availability would be like down under yonder but that's what's worked for me.

Click on my photo album then click on sub-albums to open pics of most of my modifications and a few maintenance projects.

I've owned this bike for almost 9 years so I've had lots of time to tinker and add stuff from time to time. Probably too much but it's all about performance, function and comfort. I mean what else is there?!

dc

[ This message was edited by: daytonacharlie on 2007-02-09 23:22 ]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info DC, thats good stuff! I had a Corbin seat on another bike and found them to be bloody comfy but the cost was very expensive, we have a bloke here called John Moorhouse and does work like Corbin and Sargent cheaper. I'm glad to hear parts are still available, thats been my only real worry :upthumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts