Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new 09 Daytona from the dealer yesterday. Today we are looking at 6-12" snow :mad:
Got to say the bike is a dream! Traded my 07 XR650l which I just bought last year after selling my 05 K1200LT that I had for 2 years. My wrists were aching after the 60 mile ride home but I'm sure I'll toughen with use as I've never ridden a bike like this before. Closest one was a 1980 Kawi GPZ550 I bought new when I got my license. Had a few Harleys, a Kawi Voyager, an old BSA and even a Benneli!
Guy at the dealer parts department recommended a few aftermarket parts like rearsets, quickshifter, clipons, exhaust........ But I'm just gonna ride stock for a few and get to know the bike 1st. The one thing I did swap was tires, pulling the OEM's for Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers. I plan on using the bike to commute rain/shine in the summer so I needed a semi-wet weather tire. I still have the OEM's maybe I'll sell them or remount them. I was also thinking of doing a track day session to learn some new stuff and improve my skills.
One thing I was thinking was tinting the windshield. I think it would look pretty intimidating on a black bike. Anybody try it?
So, hi to the forum and hope to see some of you out on the road.
Good riding and watch them potholes!

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Welcome to our little corner of the Net... Pretty great group of folks around here.

I would recommend some tank grips like techspec http://www.techspec-usa.com/ or stomp grip http://www.stompdesign.com/stompgrip/home.asp and then for you to learn to grip the tank with your legs to take pressure off your wrists. The key to keeping your wrists from aching on a sport bike lies in your ability to support your weight with your core muscles. Too much pressure on the grips will induce unwanted inputs to the bars anyway...

Hope you enjoy your new bike...

TripleThreat

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the advice. Perhaps I know more then I'd like to believe. I was actually trying to steady my position by gripping the tank with my knees but it is so slick I had no luck.
How's the riding in your neighborhood? I saw your location a few days ago when I 1st started lurking and it brought some interest. As soon as we can dump our tax hungry shack here in central NJ we are heading out to the good life in Bedford, In. We decided to get out of here a few years ago but the economy has screwed us every chance it got. So we are in a temporary holding pattern.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
From Bloomington on south it's the best riding in the state. You'll be fine in the Bedford area. There are a ton of fun roads in that area.

Good luck with the move... The economy has a lot of people in a holding pattern...

TripleThreat

·
Super Moderator
8,839 Posts
I don't know about Stomp Grip being bad for gear. I have used both on different bikes, and I don't know any racers who use Tech Spec, but nearly all have Stomp Grip stuck to their race bikes. Of course, leathers tend to be a wear item...

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I have the Tech Spec on my street bike and my track bike and they also wear away at the inside of the legs on the leathers.

Will is right, leathers are a wear item, especially when you come in contact with the pavement lol...

TripleThreat

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I have the Tech Spec on my street bike and my track bike and they also wear away at the inside of the legs on the leathers.

Will is right, leathers are a wear item, especially when you come in contact with the pavement lol...

TripleThreat
I have the Tech Spec stuff on mine and love it. Made all the difference on that thin tank. Don't worry, that snow will melt soon! Have fun and welcome!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts