Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum always pops up in Google search when I'm looking for some information, so after buying my 3rd Bonneville, I finally decided to join and maybe ask some questions directly.

I've been riding since 1987, but took about a 10 year break after wrecking and busting up a tibia in 2005. Previously I had ridden various Japanese bikes, a couple of BMWs and a HD Road King for 10 years. When I got back into it riding a few years back I wanted something lighter than a big hog but still a classic looking bike. After looking around I ended up with one of the last of the air cooled T100s. This soon proved to be a bit too small (I'm 6' and 225 lb) and there were numerous things I didn't like, like one front brake and the ignition key on the side of the front light. I was resistant to getting a newer water cooled Triumph, but other than that the newer Bonnies solved all the issues I didn't like about the T100, add they do a good job of hiding the radiators. I found a slightly used 2017 in Cinder Red, and luckily some of the aftermarket parts I bought for the T100 fit onto the T120. I was even able to use the Triumph waxed saddle bags with just a swap of T120 hangers. I sold the T100 to another ex-rider looking to get back into it and have been happy with the T120 ever since. The only issue I had with the T120 was the shocks were too weak for my size, and when my wife got on too the rear end actually seemed to sway. I quickly solved this with the Fox shocks made for Triumph. I've turned this into sort of a bagger, with the saddle bags and a big Plexifaring, but its mainly an around town runner that I can do some shopping and an occasional country ride.

About 6 months after getting the T100 I was yearning for something more powerful and exciting, having gotten my confidence back in riding after the decade break. I'm in my early sixties and was perhaps overly cautious to start off with. So next I went in the other direction and got a used Ducati Monster 1200. Well that pure adrenaline on wheels and all the excitement I needed, but it about cooked my balls off when riding around town, so after a summer of riding that I traded it for a HD Sportster XL1200CX - what they call the Roadster. This is the sportiest of the Sportsters, and probably the whole HD line, and while at first I really liked that, in comparison to the T120 (which I got the next spring), it was heavy and clunky. And while I've ridden Harleys for over 10 years, I never was a "Harley guy", and really kind of dislike the whole macho biker culture that goes with it. It was kind of like a beautiful woman that's trouble, but you're so entranced with her looks that you put up with the hassle. If you know the history of these bikes, Harley brought out the Sportster originally to compete with the new Bonneville, so it was kind of cool to have both of them in my stable. After having both, I'd compare the Bonneville to an English gentleman and the Sportster to an American bad boy.

I kept looking around at other bikes, test drove the Thruxton, Bobber, the Speed Twin, the Speed Master, a couple of BMW R1200s, and some I've forgotten, sat on many more, and none seemed quite right. In the meantime I kept riding the T120 much more than the XL1200CX, even though the Harley was more exciting with its rawness. The more I tested other bikes the more I realized how great the T120 is, at least for me, and the smooth sophistication of the T120 finally won out over the primitive Sportster. A used T120 Black came up for sale at a local dealer last week and I jumped on it, rode my Sportster down and did a trade. I'm planning on making this into more of a cafe racer style, but the first thing will be replacing those shocks again!

Well I guess this is enough of a rambling introduction for now, I'll probably be having some parts questions in the near future as I work on fixing up the new T120 Black.

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
Hello, welcome to the site. Thanks for sharing the story. Your going to fit in nicely here.
I hope you find this Triumph site to be a great place to meet and talk all Triumph bikes with a great bunch of riders.

Everyone here is very willing to help with any issues or concerns with your bike. This is really a great bunch of riders very willing to help other riders.

Cruise around the different sections and find where you fit comfortably. There are tech sections for each of the many models of Triumphs and chat sections for the same. Also we have a great classifieds section that is well worth checking out.

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in.

If you haven't already please fill out your profile. It helps others to know what you ride and where on the planet you are located.

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining the Triumph Rat Family.

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them.

Acceptable Use Policy

Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

Classified Ad Rules - Read first before placing Ad
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/classifieds-rules.578169/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts