Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, newbie here. :)

I've done a search on the forums and, after some good advice from the members here, I'm still no closer to solving my problem.

I've an 02 plate Tiger 955i which I bought second hand about 1-year ago. I did about 5000 trouble free miles in it (back-and-forth to Scotland) before this trouble started.

When travelling at speed, my temperature gauge sits happily towards the bottom of the scale. However, once the engine is up to temperature and I am moving slowly or am stationary the temperature creeps up. This is inevitably followed by coolant puking forth from the overflow and a general gurgling sound.

Now, let me tell you what I've done already, so as to save time...

I've already dismantled the cooling system by removing the radiator, lifting the fuel tank and taking out the thermostat manifold. By the way, the radiator is fine, the fan works a treat and the pump is 100%.

If you now open the attachment I've put on here I can explain a bit better what I'm next going to say...

Under normal conditions (i.e. when the coolant is cold), the flow of coolant is between 1 & 2. I established this by doing the old blow test ;). I added a kettle of boiling water into the manifold by pouring it into number 1, ostensibly to see if the thermostat was doing its job. Hey presto, within 30 seconds the thermostat had opened (closed?) and water passed into number 3. So it appears that the thermostat is working fine, as is pretty much everything else (as far as I can gather). The question is, what the heck can it be? It's not a complicated coolant circuit, but I just can't fathom it out?

Possible answers:
1) The radiator cap needs replaced (it looks fine to me, and seems to be sealing well).
2) The thermostat is only opening at high-temperature (i.e. at boiling point), and needs replaced.
3) There's an air-lock (surely unlikely?)

Any advice from a kind-hearted sould would be most welcome, as I've spent a good few hours with the coolant system in bits without any success... :(

Thanks in advance,

Iain

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
possible remedy

my 2001 955i used to do the same thing, it was the rad cap you cant see anything wrong from it, its not the seal its all to do with the spring pressure it lets the cooant flow back to the header tank instead of circulating it round the block so hence it overflows from coolant overflow pipe just infront of rear wheel. the new cap from triumph was £12.75 and its supposed to be a modified version, if you look on lings online shop it was free p+p. it cured my problem so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The only thing I can add is that some Tigers came from the factory with the hoses to the expansion tank crossed over - so that when the coolant got hot it went up OK, but on cooling down it pulled air back into the system. There's quite a lot about the problem on this forum.

But you don't mention any lack of coolant (mine was nearly 1 litre down) so maybe it's not that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.

I've ordered a new radiator cap from Lings, so I'll try that and report back.

Having re-read some of the other threads, it seems duff radiator caps are the order of the day! I'm not convinced it's going to solve the problem, but am struggling to think what else it can be.

Cheers,

·
Registered
21 Posts
rad cap

i was like you didnt hold out much hope that something as simple as a rad cap was the root cause , ££££ started flashing sleepless nights nightmares about head gaskets...... and so on. a little search on here and some priceless advice form fellow tiger riders and a new rad cap was ordered and fitted and its been as right as rain ever since. Forgot to say welcome to tiger ownership and ill keep everthing crossed that the radcap works for you too. while you have it to bits might be a good idea to flush the system at the same time.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hey ronofcam welcome to the forum !! when its all buttoned up remember NOT to fill the expantion tank to the MAX !! any fuller than half way between MIN and MAX she`ll spit it out :)

hope its a cheap fix !!

KK

·
Registered
704 Posts
+1 KK! I was having that problem the whole first summer I had her and it was only fixed after I had the fluid at the correct level. I would just fill the expansion tank to the minimum mark.

Block

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In my world, the Triumph radiator cap price is robbery! The dealer here wanted $22+. I went to the local commercial auto parts store and got one for $8. The Triumph one had a cryptic sticker on it that warned - I think! - about opening the cap when it's hot and getting burned. Oh, the replacement was silver instead of black. I can deal with that!

·
Registered
321 Posts
My 2006 955i with only 5,000 miles would spew out coolant from the overflow after a good run and then left to tickover.

The water temperature would rise quickly.

Told the dealer and suggested to him it was likely to be the radiator cap. He took my word for it got me one and problem solved.

He thanked me for the advice and told me he had since solved a similar problem with the same fix on a 955i speed triple.

Radiator cap is my guess, it seems to still be a comon fault on the 955i.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Replaced my radiator cap too

:) My 07 tiger was rebuilt over this winter after a wildlife encounter..first thing the tech said when straightening the lip of the radiator with some duck bill pliers was to replace the radiator cap as they have a tendency to cause problems...Oddly enough the Triumph one was only $8.75 from them...Sure glad I took his advice on that one...The only issue I've had was coolant slowly weeping from the top bleeder screw on the other side of the radiator...Removed it 2 days ago and put some gasket sealer under the washer and snugged it down...No leaks after a 250 mile trip Saturday

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would be careful with the bleed screw as they will strip the thread very easily. Just nip it up. (7lbs/ft) I read on here that a Honda Civic rad cap is cheaper than the Triumph one and available from auto stores everywhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just a quick note to say “thanks” to the forum. Here’s what I did in the end (and it solved the problem).

Removed the two indicator light plates from the side then the allen screw from the fuel tank housing. I wedged a block under the housing (didn’t fully remove it) to permit my (large) hand to access the existing radiator cap, which I did with relative ease.

I then put a basin under the lowest point on the system (pipe from radiator) and removed the jubilee clip, emptying the coolant into the basin. The coolant was not in great shape, and looked very sticky. Anyway, after I’d flushed it out with distilled water I re-attached the hose from the radiator and started to fill it from the coolant fill point. To all those wondering how I managed this with the fuel tank still on… it’s really very easy. I cut a 250mm length of garden hose and attached it to a funnel. By putting the end of the flexible pipe into the coolant fill point it allowed me to add the coolant via the funnel really easily.

I then removed the coolant bleed bolt from the side of the engine and started to add the coolant mixture. After some jiggery-pokery with adding coolant and squeezing pipes to bleed any air in the system, I had a full level of coolant. I then topped up the expansion tank to near the “maximum” level. I then attached the new radiator cap and re-attached everything.

Took the bike for a good blast in the countryside and headed for the town centre. The bike behaved fantastically, with the temperature gauge staying below half-way, even during prolonged idling and slow movements around town. Not once did any coolant start spewing onto the road.

Very pleased with the result.

Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts