Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SPEED TWIN
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking to hang it up after many years, I was talked into riding a "Triumph". I was drawn to the classic simplicity of the Speed Twin - no yellow suspension but gaiters! Agile and powerful, it handled small leaving just the road in front of me. I bought it immediately after riding it.
I have found it a very complete bike right from the dealer needing only minor fettling/farkling to taste.
The one exception to this is the suspension - adequate but somewhat challenged by my local roads. Shocks and cartridges are probably next.

Added: Fly Screen - Dart Marlin
Throttle Spacers - Ducati
Tail tidy - TEC
Bobbins - Triumph
Oil Cap - Triumph
"Carbs" - Triumph

Removed: Fork Reflectors
Seat Strap

·
Registered
2018 T120 & 2000 Ducati Monster 900
239 Posts
Welcome, To the world of Triumph - I hope it adds a couple of more decades to your riding.

·
Administrator
3,149 Posts
Hello, welcome to the site. I hope you find this Triumph site to be a great place to meet and talk all Triumph bikes with a great bunch of riders.

Everyone here is very willing to help with any issues or concerns with your bike. This is really a great bunch of riders very willing to help other riders.

Cruise around the different sections and find where you fit comfortably. There are tech sections for each of the many models of Triumphs and chat sections for the same. Also we have a great classifieds section that is well worth checking out.

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in.

If you haven't already please fill out your profile. It helps others to know what you ride and where on the planet you are located.

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining the Triumph Rat Family.

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them.

Acceptable Use Policy

Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

Classified Ad Rules - Read first before placing Ad
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/classifieds-rules.578169/

·
Registered
895 Posts
Suspension would have been my first priority.

What year is your Speed Twin?

I see you listed carbs as being added??

·
Registered
2019 SPEED TWIN
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Your thinking is correct. I have been trying not to do what I did with my last bike - change everything. The suspension is adequate and if I lived in the land of smooth roads I would be content. On Maine country roads and at speed I need more compliance and comfort. Speaking with my banker as they are a bit of an investment
IMG_4667 (2).JPG
IMG_4667 (2).JPG
but change is inevitable.
The "carbs" as I called them are off the shelf Triumph phonies. I added an AMAL cover plate to up the game a bit. This is the only pure farkle as I can rationalize the other changes. The Speed Twin is a MOTORCYCLE and the lawn mower part on the TPS had to go. Alternative fix was to go black - a tendency akin to changing everything. Not pleased with all the noise on the side covers but I await the market.
For a few hundred dollars extra I have a very strong suggestion of my 650 twin, albeit with a pumped up motor and fat tires. Upgraded suspension is coming, but happy for the moment.

·
Registered
2018 T120 & 2000 Ducati Monster 900
239 Posts
I have had six decades already but could definitely use at least one more. Thanks for the thought.
I also have over 6 decades, and am planning on 7 might need to add a side car to make 8o_O

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Nice looking ride, with some spiffy farkles. You know you've gone to far when you throw on a fake kickstarter :) Welcome to the forum
Bob

·
Registered
2019 SPEED TWIN
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reminds me of my GS 550 with kick and electric start - suspenders and belt, if you will. Handy when the starter quit. Beats run and bump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thinking to hang it up after many years, I was talked into riding a "Triumph". I was drawn to the classic simplicity of the Speed Twin - no yellow suspension but gaiters! Agile and powerful, it handled small leaving just the road in front of me. I bought it immediately after riding it.
I have found it a very complete bike right from the dealer needing only minor fettling/farkling to taste.
The one exception to this is the suspension - adequate but somewhat challenged by my local roads. Shocks and cartridges are probably next.

Added: Fly Screen - Dart Marlin
Throttle Spacers - Ducati
Tail tidy - TEC
Bobbins - Triumph
Oil Cap - Triumph
"Carbs" - Triumph

Removed: Fork Reflectors
Seat Strap
Fork reflectors 🤮

·
Registered
2019 SPEED TWIN
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I am perpendicular to some car, this is an intersection problem. If headlights and stop signs don't cover it, side markers won't help.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Bonneville T100
1,612 Posts
That Speed Twin looks fantastic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts