Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just joined as a new member. Love my 2010 America.
Can someone help me with an engine oil draining question please. Can I cause any damage by allowing the engine oil to drain over several days? The reason is that the sump washer the dealer provided with the new oil filter is the incorrect size and the shop is not open for several more days. I drained the oil before I realised the new washer was incorrect. So....can I cause damage to the oil pumps or anything else if the bike sits for several days with little to no oil sitting in it?

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I am no final authority, but as an aircraft mechanic my inclination would be to say no. Make sure the holes are plugged to keep foreign matter out, and of course don't try to start it. You should be fine.

Anybody else have a different opinion?

Cheers!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome...

I agree with Sean. Just keep it plugged up so that no moisture would get into the engine. There should be a slight film of oil left on the inside, even after draining the engine, which should be enough to protect it for the length of time you are talking. Should be OK. Once again, not an expert, but 30+ years in auto business leads me to think this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts