Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
$20 bill.

Why?

To avoid the very embarrassing situation I found myself in yesterday.

Way out in the country riding on my own when my fuel light comes on. No biggie, there's a town in 12 miles. As I pull into the gas station and get off my bike I suddenly can mentally see EXACTLY where I'd left my wallet...at home! YIKES! :eek:

My choices are to see if the gas station will take my credit card number from memory, or to call my wife and try and explain to her where the hell I am and wait a couple of hours for her to arrive, or, as a last resort, start begging. :eek:

Right off the bat, the store said no go on the CC#. Now I had to balance what was going to be less painful, begging, or having my wife hold this over my head until the end time.

Definitely BEGGING. ;)

Approached a group on 3 bikes and pleaded my case assuring them that I was good for the money and would immediately repay $20 for a loan of $3.50 now. They turned out to be super nice and let me off the hook pretty easily and steadfastly refused to have me reimburse them for the 2 gallons.

I pumped the fuel and them skulked off into the sunset with a renewed faith in mankind and a pledge to always keep a few bucks on the bike. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
been there. done that.

cept i called the gf, and I still hear about it. took her 1.5 hrs to find me, and i almost smoked my whole pack of ciggs.

it's sucks to be stranded. but, I still made the best of it and had a great ride afterwards.

If it werent for my cell phone, though, I'd of been royally ****ed. Thats why I would have to say that the most important underseat accessory would be a 12V lighter charger, and an adapter for your cell phone.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
If it werent for my cell phone, though, I'd of been royally ****ed. Thats why I would have to say that the most important underseat accessory would be a 12V lighter charger, and an adapter for your cell phone.
Worthless if your "in the boonies" with no cell service.

Nothing beats cash for getting ones self out of a jam!

·
Registered
361 Posts
yeah.

but if you wind up at a gas station with no gas, and youre empty in the middle of nowhere cash aint of much use...

ah ****it. i guess the best accessory is an auxiliary fuel canister. ha.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
LOL...true...I HAVE bought gas off of people in a jam, and once, when I was stranded when I was 17, siphoned gas out of a car and left a note and $5 under the windshield wiper. Of course, that was pre-cell phone, and the CB radio didn't have much of a range with an "ugly stick" antennae.

I guess we can agree, cash, a cell phone and a small caliber handgun are essential items...oh, and a Leatherman...

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
The only time this almost happened to me I had dropped my wallet at the last stop. This was about 3 years ago.

Lucky for me the local cops had it handed in, called me on my mobile phone while I was stopped and I was able to get straight back and pick it up, still with the cash in it!!!:eek:

I minor miracle.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's the worst piece of advice I ever heard. If I tried paying for petrol with foreign money I'd be arrested by Her Majesty's Constabulary and placed in the stocks and pelted with rotten vegetables until I was very sorry. It's rough justice over here in the UK.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I ran out of gas on a country road on my brother's Ducati 1098 (terrible gas mileage when you're on it). I knocked on the door of the nearest house and a great old guy gave me his lawnmower gas. It was even premium. Refused any money...

·
Registered
919 Posts
I ran a boat out of gas at the farthest point away from the launch ramp. We used water skis as paddles and rowed over to shore where a small boat was stashed. Followed a logging road from the water up to a cabin on top of the ridge. Heard "Dueling Banjos" running through my head the whole way. Found the owner & explained the problem. He said "You don't have enough money to buy my gas." Gave us 5 gallons in exchange for running his kid to the dock so he could go to work.

·
Registered
300 Posts
$20 bill.

Right off the bat, the store said no go on the CC#.
Having cash on hand is an awesome idea even if you don't forget your wallet, I've run across a few rural stations that don't even except credit cards.

Not usually an issue, but if you're out of gas you can't exactly ride to the next station.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts