Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bonnie is a 2006, purchased new. I had ideas of many miles traveling and made a couple trips, but you know how life can be. It was set up with a parabellum windshield, drag spec saddle brackets, and highway bars.

At the same time I thought maybe a different look might be nice sometime or other so I picked up a set of Napoleon bar ends and some Flanders clubman bars along the way. Things are finally beginning to happen. Someone else wants the Parabellum windshield and I'm getting a Dart flyscreen. Today I went into the garage and enjoyed the peace and quiet of kids gone for a while and no one looking over my shoulder. Changed out the bars, put on the mirrors and here's what it looks like now. Forgive the poor photography.

Midway through this little project I realized there are a lot more things to come off the Bonnie and change around. Looks as though I am finally going to have a single rider Bonnie and one idea leads to another. After 3 years I think my immune system has been worn down and I have contracted mod disease.:cool:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Whoa! Whopping big shield you had on that thing! Those Florida bug are going to goo up your faceshield now, LOL!
Looks good - very sporty. I ride solo nearly always, so I took off the passenger pegs - I like the look better. Some nice lay flat brackets for your gauges would add to the sporty appearence you're moving toward. Bob the fenders???
Post more photos of this metamorphis.

·
30,523 Posts
Definitely a cleaner look - I must say the napoleons look rather good. I was out for a jaunt today, and I am starting to get a bit irritated at the stock mirrors. Those bar ends rather look the shizz old boy. Kudos!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Definitely a cleaner look - I must say the napoleons look rather good. I was out for a jaunt today, and I am starting to get a bit irritated at the stock mirrors. Those bar ends rather look the shizz old boy. Kudos!
Yeah, Prop, get rid of those stock mirrors - the kids probably giggle at you when you ride by...:D

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Before I put the bar end mirrors on (from New Bon.) I bought a set of VMax styled mirrors on Ebay. No one else bid on them so with shipping I got them for $10.99. The mirrors fit on the Bonnie stems so it was an easy switch. They looked a lot better than the mouse ears and visibility was better.

Here's a partial list of things I plan to do.

Remove:
Highway Bars
Backrest
Rear Pegs
Saddle Brackets

Replace:
Instrument Cluster - Thinking of going back to original speedometer and add a small tach - Black.
Tail lights & Turn Signals - May go with New Bonneville plug and play, the bullets and retro tail light. Maybe.
Fenders - Yep, bobbed.
Silencers - Not sure which ones but they'll be black. I have a set of black Specialty Spares reverse cones I might stick back on. Pipes are probably going to be black.

Add:
Fork Gaiters

Fenders and tank I really like the Goodwood Green but would like as much black as possible on mods. I'm not a big fan of chrome.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Dog, I wanted to know if you had any problems with the parabellum at high speeds (above 75mph). I had a shield that was similar but only 18" tall from the top of headlight. I thought I loved it until the night I went to pass a couple of cars on a long straight. I pulled back in my lane @ 75-80mph. I crossed a road seam and the forks went into a semi-violent wobble :eek:. It had never done that until I installed the shield. It was also a windy day (gusts to 35).
I also wanted to say I like the direction your going with the "Goodwood" (my wife loves that name).
I also want a hooligan but have to comprimise for daily commutes.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dog, I wanted to know if you had any problems with the parabellum at high speeds (above 75mph). I had a shield that was similar but only 18" tall from the top of headlight. I thought I loved it until the night I went to pass a couple of cars on a long straight. I pulled back in my lane @ 75-80mph. I crossed a road seam and the forks went into a semi-violent wobble :eek:. It had never done that until I installed the shield. It was also a windy day (gusts to 35).
I also wanted to say I like the direction your going with the "Goodwood" (my wife loves that name).
I also want a hooligan but have to comprimise for daily commutes.
Never had a wobble at speeds up to 95mph on the interstate whether passing, being passed or changing lanes. The only time I felt anything like that was on a hilly, curvy road and I was pushing the envelope. There was a slight wobble that I became accustomed to as it meant "you're on the edge, no more". I considered that my limit for safety and didn't try to exceed it. I've been out on plenty of windy days with the shield and never experienced the wobble. But now the shield is off. :) I guess the answer is "I don't know if it was the shield or something else". The wobble was felt before I changed to progressive fork springs.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm in a strip down mode right now on the bike and wonder how it will end up. I no longer have to compromise on my commute as the kids that are picked up at different times won't be riding with me and I usually commute to work on one of my scooters. That leaves the Triumph in a no holds barred position for mods. :D Less is more and black and green is beautiful.

Goodwood. Is there any other kind? :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts