Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
I am glad Triumph is doing the specials but still a little aggravated they pulled the performance cam and pipes they promised in 2016. One of reasons for purchasing the bike in 2016 were those items. Yep feeling a little jilted Triumph.
They pulled those shortly after the considerable Harley performance parts fines in the USA. Could also have been a long-term reliabilty issue they discovered as well.

Reactions: vitesse

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I am glad Triumph is doing the specials but still a little aggravated they pulled the performance cam and pipes they promised in 2016. One of reasons for purchasing the bike in 2016 were those items. Yep feeling a little jilted Triumph.
They pulled those shortly after the considerable Harley performance parts fines in the USA. Could also have been a long-term reliabilty issue they discovered as well.
I think that is right on target about Harley. I not so sure the changes in performance on the new TFC are much different than what they were initially offering.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm surprised by all the negativity. It may not be everyone's cuppa, but it's a limited production model and seems a good marketing tool that blends classic with modern (which is kinda Triumph's thing). The detail put into it seems impressive for a mass-production company and it's probably a good test for the price-sensitivity of the customer base (and may foreshadow some of what's coming in the next iteration of the R). Seems low-risk, interesting, fun and pretty cool.

I'm not in the market for one (just got my new Bonnie), but it's nice. I'm down.
I guess for me it isn't so much what did do with TFC is what the didn't do orginal Thruxton R in terms of performance. The carbon bits are a little subjective and could care less about it. I also don't feeling like a stooge in Triumphs marketing strategy.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Sorry but when you say ‘could care less’ does that mean you really like the carbon?

As for the performance I guess 5kW was as much as they could do and still keep Eurohappy?

Manufacturers may have to start marketing performance models as ‘only for track use’.

Except for Harly Davidson of course.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Sorry but when you say ‘could care less’ does that mean you really like the carbon?

As for the performance I guess 5kW was as much as they could do and still keep Eurohappy?

Manufacturers may have to start marketing performance models as ‘only for track use’.

Except for Harly Davidson of course.

I generally don't like or dislike carbon fiber, I seen some bikes it looks okay on but I personally think it was a bit overdone on the TFC but I could see it appealing to some. I like some color and have a fondness for the Gary Nixon livery.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Well hello I'm a bit late getting to the party and have just recently heard about the TFC Thruxton. Luckily late wasn't too late and I have got a deposit on the second of two coming to the Perth Western Australia.
I had a ride on a demo Thruxton R and liked it, a lot, however I'm not sure about the riding position, clip ons and my arthritic wrists so I'm booked in for an extended test ride on Saturday. I'll know by the end of the ride if I'm gong to be suited to the bike. Then I'll have to decide between the TFC an the Indian FTR 1200 which I also have a deposit on.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well hello I'm a bit late getting to the party and have just recently heard about the TFC Thruxton. Luckily late wasn't too late and I have got a deposit on the second of two coming to the Perth Western Australia.
I had a ride on a demo Thruxton R and liked it, a lot, however I'm not sure about the riding position, clip ons and my arthritic wrists so I'm booked in for an extended test ride on Saturday. I'll know by the end of the ride if I'm gong to be suited to the bike. Then I'll have to decide between the TFC an the Indian FTR 1200 which I also have a deposit on.
If possible back to back demo rides for a comparison purposes is ideal. The other piece you need to answer is what kind of riding will you be doing? I'm 65 and love the Thruxton R but a long ride would be about 250 miles. I put a Corbin seat on for the 250 mile days. The clip ons are pretty good for 6 or so hours if your not in city traffic, highway speeds do help.

Others have toured on the Thruxton R and are perfectly happy, I am a wuss on comfort. As far as the bike there are few better than the Thruxton R. There always the 1200 Speed Twin.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I went to the dealer, on Saturday morning with the OK to go for an extended test ride, 15 minutes into the ride I turned around and went back to the shop. I later took a Bonnie for a ride and was much more comfortable on it. I've got a refund on my deposit on the TFC Thruxton and the next buyer is now going to be a happy punter.
I also took a Norton Commando for a ride but found the seating position a bit tough for my geriatric hips.
So I still have a deposit on the Indian FTR 1200, if I don't like that I still have the Trident and something else American, not to mention the Rocket 3 which is not meant to be a keeper. After raising kids and paying a mortgage I'm a bit spoilt for choice, here for a good time not a long time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So what do we all think of this special edition Thruxton R - called Triumph Factory Custom or TFC - that was shown at the latest Triumph dealer event? 10 hp more than the current R, 5 kg less, ohlins fork, Metzeler tires, new headlight design, dripping with carbon fiber, race exhausts, only 750 to be produced.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the looks but this special edition might offer some clues about what the next generation of Thruxton R will be like...
there's something about that extra carbon fiber bling that turns me off from the vintage look of a cafe racer.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
After having made a snarky, judgemental post earlier in this thread based on prejudice and pictures on the internet, I saw one for reals at my local shop yesterday, and you know what? It looks really nice. Triumph did what Ducati has done for years: a limited edition model for people who are happy to pay a few thousand extra dollars for exclusivity and prestige.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Hmmm, I had a close look at one and though it was only average compared to my R.

Even if the price was the same.

It did compare to some Ducatis from the past being ‘parts bin specials’ and not worth the $$’s in Oz.

Aus$33990.00 ride away?

·
Registered
497 Posts
It'll take more than a 10 hp increase and a bit of carbon fiber to keep my wife and her R1200R from kicking my butt when the throttles are whacked. I'll just keep my
beautiful, white, '18 Thruxton R, and get a ZX14R to smack her down with.
It’s funny... I actually thought of the ZX-10R. I could get a 2019 ABS KTR edition for 14K. That’s is 7.5k difference, and even more when you add taxes and triumph dealer fees, that Japanese dealers usually don’t charge (as much.)

I know, apples and oranges, but I could get a bike that’s an engineering feat ridden with awesome tech, and 200HP to boot. Just reading the standard features and the OEM engine management accessories is overwhelming on the KAWA. Point is, it is worth nowhere near the price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Saw a couple at the local dealership, they are sharp. I am good with my 2018 TTR but I would like to get my hands on the CF tipped V&H exhaust. Would look sweet with my matte black.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Saw a couple at the local dealership, they are sharp. I am good with my 2018 TTR but I would like to get my hands on the CF tipped V&H exhaust. Would look sweet with my matte black.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I love the carbon tipped exhaust.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
A bit late to this thread but I had chance to look over one today and I agree with others that there's nicer modded Thruxtons about, some on this forum. I quite like the dial faces and the headlight although it's possibly too modern looking for a Thruxton, I doubt it has engine mods, probably 10hp from the pipes and maybe a sneaky map they won't give to the rest of us. You can lose 10kg from a de-cat and maybe a lithium battery, I'd be more interested if it had maybe a new cam, quickshifter and an extra 1000rpm.
I wouldn't be embarrassed to park mine next to one at less than half the price.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Despite all the crticism , I couldn't be happier with my TFC . I've been down the buy the base model and mod it your self route many times . This bike , for me has everything I want and is a blast to ride . I've put almost 100K miles riding in the Southeast US and this bike is by far the most fun of the 5 I've owned .
100000 miles on a TFC.

YOU are a legend.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts