Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So what do we all think of this special edition Thruxton R - called Triumph Factory Custom or TFC - that was shown at the latest Triumph dealer event? 10 hp more than the current R, 5 kg less, ohlins fork, Metzeler tires, new headlight design, dripping with carbon fiber, race exhausts, only 750 to be produced.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the looks but this special edition might offer some clues about what the next generation of Thruxton R will be like...

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd like to see the carbon fiber stuff and headlight assembly in the accessories catalog. Did they say how the lost the weight and got some more horse's out of it?

·
Registered
884 Posts
oooh. me likey. very pretty. Not sure it would entice me to trade in my TTR which has not given me an ounce of trouble, runs purrfectly with just the right mods. who knows, i might just get the urge next year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From what I gather, this Thruxton R TFC is part of their Triumph Factory Custom project... And it’s closer to a “1-off”, rather than a production limited edition. Maybe a handful for just a few in the UK that are rich, related, or both. Or possibly purpose built just to show for the TFC program. But who knows. As discussed in the other thread here, it’s primarily just a custom paint scheme on the tank, with a few discontinued ill-fitting PowerBronze Carbon bits, as well as a carbon fairing/mudguard. And, the never made it to production, carbon-tipped V&H US slip-on’s. And lastly, an Öhlins fork. Personally, it’s quite pretty, but not in any way something I envy over my own Thruxton. There are members on this very forum with full-fairing Thruxtons that I like better. Cheerio.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to see the carbon fiber stuff and headlight assembly in the accessories catalog. Did they say how the lost the weight and got some more horse's out of it?
I presume the weight saving comes in part from the carbon, the exhaust, and maybe lighter wheels (?). If you do a search on FB you can see a video of Triumph presented the FTC in which they talk about getting an additional 10 hp 'from the engine' - not sure what that means concretely but - to me at least - it suggests that the hp gains are not from fiddling with the exhaust and air intake systems

They also presented the new Speed Twin which apparently has the same engine as the Thruxton R but is 10kg lighter. This got me slightly confused as I thought the Thruxton was supposed to be the performance flagship of the Modern Classics range!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well, I like it. But as others have commented I won't be trading up from my '16 TTR. I LOVE my current broomstick.
Regarding this version, seems Triumph has been stalking the forums and decided to copycat build a bike we all are so successfully modifying.
Best compliment ever, IMHO

》》》》》》》》》》Wake Up, Be Nice, Kick Ass, Repeat...... MTFU

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pshhh... Forget the bike..give me that OEM LED Headlight!

*I know it comes on the Bobber, SpeedMaster, and the new Scrambler 1200..but i think those headlights are smaller in diameter.

I'm also digging the "Blacked out" face gauges.

The gauges are nice. The top triple is fugly tho.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It'll take more than a 10 hp increase and a bit of carbon fiber to keep my wife and her R1200R from kicking my butt when the throttles are whacked. I'll just keep my
beautiful, white, '18 Thruxton R, and get a ZX14R to smack her down with.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
CF is over the top and the package looks good mainly because the Thruxton has nice bones to begin with. 5 whole kg less would be really impressive if it was a bicycle. The fender and tail assembly I no longer have and the fairing I never bought weigh more than that. And I wonder what tiny fraction of the Thruxton ridership could tell the difference between Ohlins forks and Showa forks?

The Hallmark slogan "Happiness is wanting what you have" doesn't go so well with bike industry imperative to continually try to create wants in consumers that we didn't know we had.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It'll take more than a 10 hp increase and a bit of carbon fiber to keep my wife and her R1200R from kicking my butt when the throttles are whacked. I'll just keep my
beautiful, white, '18 Thruxton R, and get a ZX14R to smack her down with.

Yeah she has you on horsepower but your bike is better looking. You might try the drag strip challenge if she lacks experience there? I beat my buddies Rocket 3 regularly with my Thruxton R at the drag strip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
One would have to assume that the majority of this slightly increased HP claim, as well as the slightly reduced weight claim, are a simple & direct result the that TFC Thruxton having been equiped with de-cat headers, along with the complete removal of the quite heavy CAT-box.

·
Registered
453 Posts
One step beyond....

Seems like we are getting further and further away from the original retro-style cafe look with all the carbon and bling. Is Triumph loosing it's way?

Nothing against modern technology, but let's not forget the vintage style appeal and simplicity of the 60's. Clearly subtlety it not the forte of the latest line up!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I will stick to my Thurxton 1200S Just love the green, after the decat and opening my stock pipes I gained a few extra HP and I am quite happy with it, no need for more HP as I am having troubles now keeping under the radar of the fun police, I don't do track day, I would have in my younger days.
Plus the skill of the rider will make up for the extra HP in my book, wonder how much extra the cost will be for all of the extra bits.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
One step beyond....

Seems like we are getting further and further away from the original retro-style cafe look with all the carbon and bling. Is Triumph loosing it's way?

Nothing against modern technology, but let's not forget the vintage style appeal and simplicity of the 60's. Clearly subtlety it not the forte of the latest line up!
Thruxty your point about Triumph starting to lose their way maybe a important one to consider. We all have received those Triumph surveys on what we like, don't like and or want, right? I am curious if anyone out there said we want a carbon fiber Thruxton, or was some market research wonk?

Now after seeing the cheesy London reveal last week on YouTube I am looking am leaning to Triumph leadership is listening more to what market research wonks say. I wonder whether these guys have ridden any bike much less a Triumph?

They seem to think we don't know Triumph history and can be mesmerized by shiney bubbles and beads.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts