Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Been wanting to try one tho I'd really rather have more gear made from kangaroo.
The inside of them is the best meat of the lot. Can you stitch? I'll cut them up and send the outside over.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, this is bad news for horse owners. Why? Because now we have to worry a lot again about people stealing our horses. If you live near a slaughterhouse, it's a huge concern. They will load up the horses in a matter of minutes, drive to the slaughterhouse and get a few hundred per animal.

So, enjoy your horse burger, Hap, but this means my neighbors and I are going to be jumping in our trucks again and following every horse or livestock trailer we see again.
Oh Roxy, I wouldn't take your horse. To cute and sweet. Now those pesky wild mustangs out west all need to end up in Mickey D's finest burgers. They eat way to much sage brush and thistles and fart enough to cause earth warming. Besides we use helicopters now and pluck em right out from under they rider,:D

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Horse theft hasn't been much of an issue the last few years, but it will be again. Especially now that the economy is bad. It's an easy crime for anyone with a trailer who knows how to load a horse.

I don't get all worked up about people eating them. I wouldn't, but that's me. I used to have 2 potbelly pigs for pets, and I do eat pork, although it makes me think.

But, everything has to eat. I like rodents, too, but many animals eat them and I don't freak out. I just choose not to own such an animal, like a snake because I would have a hard time emotionally feeding it.

Of course when my old guy croaks, I probably won't be able to find a free horse as a companion for my other one. People won't have any choice but to ask for more than slaughter price to ensure it doesn't end up there. Yes, for those who have been wondering if there are free horses out there, there have been a lot of them lately due to the economy. Many out of work people are just looking for homes for them. Sometimes, too, you can get a free horse off the track.

When I got my new bird a few weeks ago, the owner did ask if I was going to feed it to a snake or something. He was a little concerned that he was giving it away free to a good home. I was like, OMG, no! Petey is so much fun and so smart. I can't imagine him getting that fate.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I'm afraid I'm going to come off as heartless, but horses are livestock NOT pets or companion animals. In Wisconsin, we don't really have a problem with horse thieves - but horse abandonment and neglect is a huge problem. Go on a trailride- come back and there's someone's unwanted horse in your trailer, dozens mysteriously left in parking lots after horse shows. Others are starving on farms or taken out back and shot, etc... It costs $$ to ship an animal to Canada for processing- the owner has little to no opportunity for a return on their investment. At least there is now an option for folks who can't or no longer want to look after their stock- It's not like there will be a slaughterhouse in every town!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
An excellent point. In spite of horse abandonment and neglect being downplayed by opponents of the bill, it is a problem. I live in a rural agricultural community and it happens all too often here. Everyone wants a nice little bucolic horse pasture with a white fence, but few consider in advance the long-term financial and time commitments.

The negative consequences of some laws are sometimes unforeseen, and when it comes to considering alternatives, this law is the lesser of two evils. I'll go out on a limb and assume without evidence that exports of live horses, to Mexico in particular, resulted in less humane or inhumane slaughtering practices.

Slaughter of animals for food is a contentious subject, and I have mixed feelings about it myself. However, I eat meat, so I can't be hypocritical and claim it shouldn't be done. I support the enforcement of humane slaughtering practices (quick and painless), and stiff penalties for violations. I come down (uneasily) on the side of this law because of the negative consequences such as neglect, abandonment, and export to Mexico for slaughter.

I'd also like to see the breakup of monolithic agricultural monopolies and a return to family farms (large and small), but that's for another discussion, as it is also an extremely complicated subject.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit, Mary. Yes, technically, they are livestock. But, they transcend that more than most other livestock. They are pets, and companions, and even more than that. They are your partner in a sport. Like a couple who compete in figure skating. In some ways, it's kind of like a marriage. You communicate with each other through your bodies and accomplish goals together.

It's hard to describe if you've never had one. But, for me and many others it's a harder loss than a dog or cat, and yes, I love them very much as well. I'm still crying nearly every day over my bird who died Oct. 24. I am right now thinking of her. When I lose a horse it's a good year or more of grieving.

Ok, now the other birds are upset that I'm upset and trying to cheer me up:) They are both saying, "I love you." Pete is also making his funny, cartoon sounds that make me laugh.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Mistermellow has it nailed...whether it's livestock, pet or hunted prey, humans have an obligation to take humane action. A candlelight vigil won't help a suffering animal. IMHO, the use of an animal, for food or any other purpose that does not cause suffering, gives more meaning to the animals demise. No disrespect towards the choices others make, but I don't think non-domesticated animals should be kept as pets either. My ex-roomie's menagerie (some sort of monitor lizard, python, iguana etc ) didn't seem to be very happy in their tanks.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
" New law allows USA to eat horse meat again ..."

Thank goodness. I'm tired of going to the Mexican resturant and ordering fajitas and the only options I get is steak or chicken.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
" New law allows USA to eat horse meat again ..."

Thank goodness. I'm tired of going to the Mexican resturant and ordering fajitas and the only options I get is steak or chicken.
LOL, steak can mean a lot of things in a Mexican restaurant....:eek:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I grew up eating at a little soda bar run by three Polish sisters. They had the best burgers. No one could ever figure out what the meat was but we always suspected horse meat. It wasn't beef, that I can say for sure. Man I miss those burgers and the way Helen made every one with love.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've had buffalo, and it's not a whole lot different than beef, leaner, but pretty close. The animals are close enough that they can be bred, beefalo ;p

21 - 34 of 34 Posts