Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

First time posting here... Just recently bought a 2004 Thruxton and started my project to turn it into a beast!

The guy who owned the bike before me did a little work here and there, including an airbox removal. Also was running CR specials when I bought it.

Question is, I've just put Dominators on and was told I wouldn't need to change the jets at all, even with no airbox. Is this right? When I got the bike it was running real rich, very strong smell of gas, sluggish through 1/4 throttle and spluttering. Turned air screw on the CR's by a 1/4 and problem seems completely resolved, never misses a beat when I accelerate like it did before. But since putting on the Doms (and heat wrap) I'm worried it could be too lean due to the bigger exhausts and "scavenging" the heat wrap should apparently cause. It usually pops a bit when I decel, but nothing like the "machine gun" popping other people have described on the forum. So how much popping is too much?

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Hey everyone!

First time posting here... Just recently bought a 2004 Thruxton and started my project to turn it into a beast!

The guy who owned the bike before me did a little work here and there, including an airbox removal. Also was running CR specials when I bought it.

Question is, I've just put Dominators on and was told I wouldn't need to change the jets at all, even with no airbox. Is this right? When I got the bike it was running real rich, very strong smell of gas, sluggish through 1/4 throttle and spluttering. Turned air screw on the CR's by a 1/4 and problem seems completely resolved, never misses a beat when I accelerate like it did before. But since putting on the Doms (and heat wrap) I'm worried it could be too lean due to the bigger exhausts and "scavenging" the heat wrap should apparently cause. It usually pops a bit when I decel, but nothing like the "machine gun" popping other people have described on the forum. So how much popping is too much?
Mr. Rhys Coles,

For the benefit of the rest of folks who will read your post, you will need to give a complete description of the jetting.

I don't have experience with the CR's, however popping on deceleration means un-burnt fuel is being burned past the combustion chamber. It could still be two rich, and or there might be air leaks in the exhaust fitting which allow that combustion to occur. I doubt the Dominators will cause it to be to lean?

Namaste,
Charles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
or there might be air leaks in the exhaust fitting which allow that combustion to occur.
Nail right on the head.. Rode for a little while and felt like the popping was one sided. Also felt to me (maybe in my head) that the right side had a little more vibration in the header even though everything was tight. So I broke the headers and exhaust down again, gave everything a bit of a clean and put back together. Think there must have been an air leak at the header causing the pop. Tightened everything up again, no more popping!

Thanks for the help Charles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts