Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off big thanks to Cometman! With out him I would have never even conceived of doing this! After months of looking I finally found and scored a good deal on a new gauge cluster. It was the correct part number off just the right bike! Like cometman said it is truely a plug and play type deal.

It is big time sleeker than the old unit. The flashing blue shift LED's are seriously OFF THE HOOK!!! Me and the wifey rode to a meet up tonight and this thing is amazing at night!!! I could barely keep my eyes on the road!

Here are a few pics:

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
First off big thanks to Cometman! With out him I would have never even conceived of doing this!
+1.

My 2009 bike with the same gauges as you and CometMan used, topped off with a 2011+ tacho face (please ignore the ghetto style temporary monitoring rig in the foreground).

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I love your all black guage face!!! What's the part # on that?
Let's answer here, to keep the discussion with the pic.

No part number for tacho face, you will have to hunt eBay/breakers for a broken gauge with tacho face intact. Or have a printing shop do you a custom printout. But I do not know if a gauge shop can replicate the sandwich design & see-through illumination? Most likely you would lose that feature if you just glue a custom print on top of OEM.

Anyway, the fascias and tacho face assys of the similar shape 1050/675 gauges seem to interchange directly. Exact same shape on the clear plastic base (under the face print that tunnels light from the circuitboard LEDs). Some faces just miss a few LED holes.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Martin

I can't find a fascia for mine.

Triumph says there are no part numbers for just the fascia, I would need to buy the whole cluster. They say this is the case with the Street as well as the Speed.

Does this sound right?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Yes, unfortunately that seems to be what I am hearing too. The separate spare part fascia is available only for older gauge shape.

Hunting breakers for a dead gauge set with OK 675/1050 fascia seems to be the only option.

I don't know why Triumph chose to go this way on 2011+ gauge shape. The fascia is an easily detachable part, so why not offer this as a spare part?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Martin

I can't find a fascia for mine.

Triumph says there are no part numbers for just the fascia, I would need to buy the whole cluster. They say this is the case with the Street as well as the Speed.

Does this sound right?
daytona 675r/street triple fascia part number T2501502

this part doesnt exist?

thanks guys :) it looks great on your triples :) glad you all got 1, too bad the top speed function is gone in these clusters...miss that one, but the looks compensate for that

jimmy i will continue whit my eyes open on ebay since i search every day

i spotted some months ago in a italian forum a damaged eletronics 2011 cluster but whit the fascia intact, i will try to find the sale thread and see if it was sold.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've been thinking about this mod for awhile now; since I saw the newer "old bikes" that switched over to them
My question though is DFUSEME is that the last generation's tachometer/cluster? Is that the "plug n play" magic?
That would mean, to me, the current gen's tachs are not plug n play. Yes?
And MartinR is that a last gen tach but with only the face of the tach updated to 11? I understand that right? How difficult is that last part of the swap? Does the cover/weather sealing open easily? Or is it a heat and re-glue of operation?
Thanks all in advance.

·
Registered
436 Posts
09 Triple

You'll need a 2 button cluster off a late model round headlight bike. The clusters off the new headlight bikes won't work in an 08-10 round headlight bike. They are not plug and play.

Does that help?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
And MartinR is that a last gen tach but with only the face of the tach updated to 11? I understand that right?
Yes. Like Jimmy said, only the last batch round headlight bikes of 2010 had a new shape gauge that is plug & play for older 08-10 bikes.

How difficult is that last part of the swap? Does the cover/weather sealing open easily? Or is it a heat and re-glue of operation?
No glue or heat involved. Only screws.

Fiddly part is that you have to remove tacho needle by prying with 2 spoons. It's only a push fit onto the electric motor. On reinstall you probably have to do multiple tries on refitting & checking with power, so that you get needle to sit at zero. It's a bit of an trial & error affair as the motor always moves the needle a hair.

But all in all very easy operation.

Edit. Have a look at this Hayabusa thread, our Triple gauges are by same manufacturer and with similar construction:
http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/98549-installation-walk-through-dashlight-leds.html

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
^If you can find a 08-10 owner to try his clocks on your bike, you could verify. If the 08+ clocks work, then the 2010 SE clocks will as well. Or more importantly if your bike ECU allows starting with the 08+ gauges - that seems to be the main issue.

Even the 2011+ clocks seem to share most of the same functions, it is just some ECU request-response annoyance coded by Triumph, that will prevent bike from starting. I tried late bike clocks on 2009 bike and they work OK if I first start bike with original clocks and hot-plug the later in. But bike will not start if late clocks are plugged in while cranking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts