Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just want to say HI!

I got home from my first ride with the bike. Very nice, fast and awesome sound.

Only problem are the handlebars (too low and too far forward, does anyone have a way of to modify this?) and a little surging below 3200 rpm. Otherwise it is a vert nice bike.

And the sound..... :hearts::hearts::hearts:

I live in The Netherlands by the way and I work in an aluminium foundry as a daytime job. I also build turbocharged dragbikes for friends (and customers. or customers who become friends :rolleyes: )

Thanks,

Erik Jennes

·
Premium Member
24,388 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum Erik:)

Congratulations on your RS purchase too.

Don and I ask all our newbs to please read our forum stickies just as a matter of course.:)

The surging below 3200rpm does not sound right to me but I am not a tech, I own 2 955's both '04 one a Sprint St the other a Daytona.

My Sprint is smooth from 2,000rpm.

Some one that knows more than I do will help with that I am sure.

Enjoy the forum.:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
There are a number of kits out there..I fitted the LSL kit ( from Streetfighterstore) and I gotta admit, it's a bit TOO high for me, though replacement lower tubular bars are now an option.

BUT, one or two of the lads on here seem to have gone with the 07/08 Sprint clip ons, as these are almost a straight swap, and look to be a good bit higher than stock.

Also, as an option are 'Variobars/Convertibars' or their equivalents, I believe OnD has some on his Sprint ST......

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
The standard ST bars will fit as well. I am not sure whether you'll need to reroute (or change) the cables though.

You do get used to the lean after a few rides. I really like the position but I am 6'1" and long arms for the reach. I find that I had to do some stomach/trunk exercises to be comfortable on longer trips though.

They are a great machine. Tells us about yourself and why you chose the RS? :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Genmar risers work well. No need to reroute or replace anything. Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am from The Netherlands. Apeldoorn to be precise (if anybody wants to google.maps it) and 34 years. Married and no kids yet. My wife wants em but not right now as we are rebuilding our house.

Most of my driving time was mostly on kawasakis (zx10's varies models) and some odd suzuki (gs1100 '80) which got stolen.
Right now I have a zx10r for dragracing and needed (wanted) a nice bike with a distinctive sound and a high fun factor.
So I set my search for a twin or a triple hence the sound.

I have always liked the triumph's but was never able (money wise) to afford one. After a 2 week search I found some very nice triumph's 900 for not a lot of money. But decided to spend some more $$$ on a newer one with less miles on the clock.
This lead to the 2000 sprint rs.

Did a long trip yesterday and love the bike. Wish I would have bought a triumph triple sooner.

Since I am only 5'6" the handlebars are way off....
I am thinking of making my own adapter plates for the mx bars I have laying around. Have a variety to choose from since I used to do some mx'ing back in the days.
I would reckon a 2" up and 1" back would be enough for me.
Or I just get the 1,5" risers I saw somewhere. But $100 is a little steep for $1 of aluminium and $20 for the machining. $50 I could do with. Sorry guys.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Well, if you are handy ( good) with aluminium in the machine shop, make some up, and if they perform well, I might be tempted to send you some Dutch Kroner, or Euros for a set of risers...........!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D

LOL. I will make a pattern to make the risers and have a little chat with the cnc programmer at work to write a small program to machine the parts.

Just to see what the costs would be. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I was thinking ( for me at least) a 27 cm rise, maybe 14 cm back would be good compromise......!!!!!

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
or get arm extensions! :)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
It,s not my arms mate, but after 14 years despatch riding, plus my (car) accident, where I blew 4 cervical discs, my problem is, I can still grip/ride with low bars/clip ons..BUT, in order to do that, and scan the road ahead, your neck / back has to from an ever closing 'v'.....that's the bit that kills me.

Sitting more 'upright' means slightly more weight on your lower back......not ideal BUT the big plus is , at least for me, you open up the neck/back 'v' crease......which gives my blown cervical discs an easier time!!!!!

Ideally, I'd be a candidate for a fast 'roadbike'..either a Speed/Street Trip or a Tiger.....but I love my RS, and it's 'sportier riding position' so damn much!!!!

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Ideally, I'd be a candidate for a fast 'roadbike'..either a Speed/Street Trip or a Tiger.....but I love my RS, and it's 'sportier riding position' so damn much!!!!
Sorry to hear about the injury frider. I am the same re the position though. I much prefer the position on the RS. I love the S3 and this would be my next bike if I had to replace the RS but I have ridden a few other bikes and always find myself lean forward even on the Bonnies and Speedmasters !! Sad really! :)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I think the problem is, we already know we have the best ENGINE in our RS'!!!

So what to replace it with...... post 05 SpeedTriple, but with an RS motah, maybe????

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
post 05 SpeedTriple, but with an RS motah, maybe????
I was eyeing off an orange 08 S3 just this afternoon, or should I say lusting! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why is the RS engine the best?

Drove to work today and at 70 to 90+mph it is finebut below that the handle bars are still to far away.

Sorry to hear about your injury. Will it get better over time?

See ya.

Erik

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The bars from the earlier ST's are a straight swap on the RS. They're a couple cm. taller and further back. They also have a slightly different angle. You should not need to change the throttle and clutch cables. The later ST bars are even higher.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Well.....you have maybe 12 HP more than a sightly fettled RS955i motah....., with a 1050 motah,

but more important than outright horsepower, is the size, shape and 'effectiveness' of an engine's torque curve.....or it's ability to 'pull'

The RS has, (I believe) a max torque reached at a quite lowly 4600 RPM..and, it hangs onto that plateau until around 8500 RPM.....thus ensuring maximum 'poke' almost irrespective of gear, amazing fuel economy ( because after 4500 RPM, the engine is in it's 'sweet spot').....IE If I can keep my RS below 95MPH, it returns about 50 MPG.......

Just my two cents as to why it's possibly one of the most frugal, one of the 'torquiest'.....and still quite a decent amount of HP, ( about 127 for a late 955 motah, with the addition of a pipe, tune and free flowing filter!!) for all you 'two stroke'/ Sportsbike junkies!!!

To sum up, you DON'T have to rev the 'taters off an RS to achieve maximum thrust.......and that's why a lot of people think it was (and is) the 'sleeper' in the Triumph range................

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thats funny, I always thought the RS was the "sportbike" of the ST line.

I wanted one too but couldn't afford it so bought a TT instead. Then the 1050 ST I have now.

By the way, a friend had an RS at the same time I had the 1050 ST and it always had an answer for any challenge he would make.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm not saying the RS is quicker..whether top end in a straight line or twisty's......cos it shouldn't be.....

But, in 'the real world'...IE between 55-135 MPH, I think it's an easier, more relaxed engine.

I've noticed a lot of people commenting how frugal it is.....even compared to the 1050 motah....I THINK thats down to a combination of the gearing/low 'max torque' of the engine......but even geared down a tooth, I reckon it needs to be thrashed hard to get below 45MPG.....

I've only ridden an '04 Daytona 955i, Two Bros pipe, and tune, and , I felt like you had to rev the 'Tona quite a bit more than the RS........to get it 'cooking'......and upto 135/140 there was not much in it.....and since these days I don't really travel over 140 much.....well maybe 10% of the time, I much prefer the RS engine!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts