Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Interesting idea, I like having my face covered and not visible to others, just one of those little things that some of us like. I do know people who will go for this because they do not like the closed in feel of the full face helmet. It would be cool with a full tinted front, look like a robot.. hehe..

·
Registered
440 Posts
iRobot, certainly.

It is innovative, which is cool. The idea is unaffected field of view - which this has in spades. The chin bar should be made of something more substantial than plastic. Carbon fiber, maybe. I have always liked their idea of a fold-down shade visor. On all my visors, I have the sunshade strip (from cyclegadgets) at the top - wouldn't ride without it.

It would not suit me, I dig my Scorpion helmet's dark visor - I like 'hiding' from my fellow commuters. Plus it scares the kids in the minivan......

·
Registered
157 Posts
Pretty cool idea & great visibility, but I'm with Dr. Triumph on this one - be better if it was tinted. I kind of like the menacing look of my black Shoei with a mirrored visor...

·
Registered
170 Posts
On 2006-12-13 12:21, DragonDan wrote:
iRobot, certainly.

It would not suit me, I dig my Scorpion helmet's dark visor - I like 'hiding' from my fellow commuters. Plus it scares the kids in the minivan......
Awh...read the article and near the end it sez the helmet has a sun shield buit in that you can pull down, like a fighter pilot's helmet. That would give you the stealth that you need and disappear at night when ya don't need it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You have to be kidding right! Only the Germans. If you were going to wear that you may as well ride a B oring M iddle age W anker machine. Functionality over style my arse.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's interesting how some like not to be seen. Are you guys shy, or afraid of being identified as (gasp) riding a cycle.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Anyway, I've always preferred Schuberth lids for their comfort and quietness, and when a lid is on, I'm the sort that likes to feel protected. This one seems to be a good city helmet, but I'd have second thoughts about sports or touring. For a start, looks like that gap behind the chinbar would suck a heap of air up.

Good on em for pushing the envelope, but I think my next one will be an S1 or something similar. :cool:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Not only does the bloody thing look HUGE but it's also pricey. I converted R5700 to USD and got $816 as a result.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2006-12-14 03:57, jameskiwi wrote:
It's interesting how some like not to be seen. Are you guys shy, or afraid of being identified as (gasp) riding a cycle.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Anyway, I've always preferred Schuberth lids for their comfort and quietness, and when a lid is on, I'm the sort that likes to feel protected. This one seems to be a good city helmet, but I'd have second thoughts about sports or touring. For a start, looks like that gap behind the chinbar would suck a heap of air up.

Good on em for pushing the envelope, but I think my next one will be an S1 or something similar. :cool:
James, I agree with you and DaveM re: the protection, I'm not sold on the chin bar. On the price Omaz has calculated, no wonder this is the jet pilot model - only a pilot could afford one!

Given Omaz conversion to US $ do you know what the price of the Schuberth in the UK is as shipped not converted from Rand?

Russ

·
Registered
658 Posts
On 2006-12-14 05:43, DaveM wrote:
Hmmm,
definitely not my cup of tea but each to their own. :)
I prefer a full chin bar of a regular full face lid with an Iridium visor.

Davem :cool:
Does the iridium visor on the Suomy come with the squashed flies designer pattern as standard or you have to pay extra for it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
On 2006-12-14 06:13, ruscook wrote:

Given Omaz conversion to US $ do you know what the price of the Schuberth in the UK is as shipped not converted from Rand?

Russ
From what I can see, they can be shipped in for around Euro 410, plus shipping. Amounts to around £300, which is pretty reasonable compared to retail over here.

·
Registered
376 Posts
As for protection...I've only had one nasty fall...my chin hit the pavement hard, the chin guard had a huge chunk taken out of it, the shield and my glasses went flying after the bounce. The helmet did its job and my face looks as pretty as ever. I don't think I'd trust the chin protection on this thing.

Charlie...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would totally diasagree with all of you about the safety of it...if they hadn't have made the chin bar removable. Oh well, it looks about as good as any flip up, and schuberth makes a solid flip up helmet, so I'm sure this one is just as solid. I'm a huge fan of flip down sunvisors, but they add a lot of weight and bulk. (relative)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts