Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The glass on the front of my headlight has a crack in it. So it needs to be replaced before the next riding season.
What kind of sealed beam headlights can I stick in there with a minimal of fuss? What do I do with that little secondary bulb? Does anyone just sell the glass part so I can stick in my bulb?
The reason I was thinking of not going with a sealed beam is I've read that the sealed beam headlights don't have a long life before burning out.
what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I changed mine to the sealed beam. Sylvania H6024 I think, but not sure of the exact number. Just search past topics by Sylvania and you'll find the earlier discussions about it. All you lose it the parking light if you go sealed beam. If you decide to want to stay with the original I have the one I took out of mine that I can make a deal on.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I changed mine out with a Sylvania H6024 XV sealed beam from Autozone for about $16. Much brighter than the stock set-up, and like loxpump said...you'll loose the parking light. Just tape up the (2) extra wires so that they won't short out. Takes about 20 to 30 minutes to change out.

Shorty

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

I'm a bit undecided on this. I was out last night with MY sealed beam, but it's not aligned correctly so I can't say with any certainty that the following is true:

Sure, it's brighter..... BUT I find that it doesn't paint the road in front of you with ample light. I think it needs to be married to another bulb like it for it to work right. By itself, it's a pin-point beam of light. As I suggest above, my beam is not adjusted correctly yet..... so I may change my mind on this, but I doubt it.

I would suggest spending instead the big bucks for an upgraded PIAA bulb with a rating higher than our factory bulb. They run cooler than the cheap SilverStars, put out better light, and last MUCH longer.

That lens on our motorcycles is DESIGNED to spread the light out in front of our bikes, I don't think the answer is to replace it with a headlamp designed for a car.....

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-11-20 09:46 ]

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
AcidKat,

If you get the Sylvania H6024, be sure to get the "H6024 XV". The suffix is for Xtra Vision.

Patt I think you may want to switch yours for this as well. That's what I put in mine and it's an amazing improvement over the stock headlamp.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aye RoadDog,

how much was the Sylvania H6024 XV? Where do you pick one of those up at?

I'm thinking now of doing the sealed beam (if its cheap enough) and sticking a resister and a little led in place of the little aux bulb for a cheapo lighting effect for under the flyscreen.

thax for all the info guys.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
road_dog
I'M ALL OVER THAT!

I haven't given up on the sealed beam yet; I've been out in the garage adjusting everything so I can be a better judge of the sealed beam's pattern.

If it works, between another twenty dollar bill for that 'XV' and my already purchased 6024, I still wouldn't have spent as much as I would have for a PIAA. In other words, I have nothing to lose!

Besides, I also wanted that more rounded/convex shape bulb.... it's more traditional for a Bonnie.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Aftermarket acrylic headlight guards for BMWs cost more than an H6024XV. Of course if you have the misfortune to have a rock crack yur Beemer headlamp (think K1200RS) expect a shop bill of a coule $$ hundred to replace it, along with removing most of the fairing. Crazy ..........

Makes me love my little T100 all the more. By comparison, she's a cheap date!

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts