Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my new LSL fatbars and clamps, it's raining out today so looks like I've got myself a perfect project. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or tips that they want to offer? It sounds to me like the hardest part will be drilling the new handlebars to accomodate the notch for the controls. The new bars are very similar in size and shape to the stock so I don't forsee any problems with length of cables, etc. Any help or tips is greatly appreciated, and I will post step by step before and after pics when completed. How Exciting!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Handlebars

I have the same setup, and it's WAY easier to just grind or file off the little plastic "nubs" on the controls than trying to drill your bars. I just put a wrap or two of 2 sided carpet tape on the bars where the controls sit, and have had no problems with them moving. I thought about drilling the bars for a second, but then I saw nothing but trouble with that idea, like drilling off center, the wrong location etc... and ruining a new set of bars, then I would really be pissed!

Hope this helps you out a little.

H

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the advice, trust me I don't want to drill unless I have to. I plan to use locktite on all the threads for the clamps. What's best for the grips? I'm waiting on some Rizoma grips that are made of aluminum or something, so I wasn't sure what type of adhesive is best for them. Any suggestions from anyone? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
HOwebman has it right. Don't go drilling or punching the bars, thats just one more point for a fatique crack to start on.

Dremel locating plastic pegs off and 2-sided heavy duty tape is your friend.

On the rubbers, any old rubber glue you have lying around is good. If you don't have any handy, then take one of your girl's hairspray cans and liberally spray the inside of grip. It will be very slippery and easy to slide on, but when the spray dries the grip is fixed nicely.

If no glue, and no hairspray handy, then gasoline will work in a pinch too. Won't grip quite as much, but will be easy to mount grip and the gasoline softened rubber will still grip some.

No glue needed on throttle side as you will be just moving the plastic tube on to new bars. Some silicon grease/spray between bar & plastic will improve throttle action a small amount.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so this was WAY easier than I originally thought it may be. Parts fit most excellent, no drilling, used the double sided tape, and the grips have little allen screws, so no adhesive necessary. Thanks everybody!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts