Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No pics as I didn't have my camera with me but earlier today I saw the new Guzzi dirt bike thing and a Griso in person.
Both look to be top notch.
I was afraid that the V85 whatever they call it would be a cheap piece uh crap but it didn't look that way at all. If I was in the market for a new adventure tourer/scrambler machine I think that's what I'd get.
Good luggage, good brakes and it didn't look to be built down to a cost.

The Griso looks to be quite the bike, too.
Standards appear to be making a comeback and this might be king of the hill.
Foot controls need to come back an inch or two but other than that, it felt like home.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if the Griso is a new model or simply a leftover but it got my attention.

The thing with the big Guzzis is that they are NOT point and shoot as there's a lot of reciprocating weight going on.
Plan your lines and ride smoothly is the way to have fun on them. They like long sweepers, not tight little back roads.

I had a Daytona (same motor as that Centauro) and that was a tough thing to ride: on/off throttle with lots of driveline snatch from the 2 U-joints. I never rode a Centauro so maybe that was a bit better but that Daytona would have killed me if I hadn't sold it.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I'm considering trading the Stelvio in for a V85, but I do love my Stelvio (and I reckon my missus might notice if my black bike became a yellow bike)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Must be an age thing, but why do so many modern bikes look like dog's dinners thrown together from the parts bin?

Mk1 Le Mans and the early 1970s 750 Sport were handsome bikes,

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine is the yellow bike

I'm considering trading the Stelvio in for a V85, but I do love my Stelvio (and I reckon my missus might notice if my black bike became a yellow bike)
Mine is the yellow bike. I told my wife it faded and shrank when I washed it :)

I found the red one out and about also striving to put enough kms on the clock for the first service.

Dibnah: I love the early Moto Guzzis as well, and find that this new one has the soul of an old bike (PLUS cruise control LOL!!!).
(the photo wouldn't stick I try again later )

Attachments

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The V85 is really handsome in person.
The old Tonti framed Guzzis were very handsome bikes, no denying that, especially the round head models.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I absolutely love our 2009 Norge that is comfortable, charismatic and strange all at the same time,

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Guzzi's look good but dealers are sparse + parts + service can be greatly lacking as my friend a former dealer noted!!!
If your looking for a cat-delete "Y "pipe for the v85 tt I'm developing one, nearly ready for production.
(bonus,:grin2: tax deduction)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know if the Griso is a new model or simply a leftover but it got my attention.

The thing with the big Guzzis is that they are NOT point and shoot as there's a lot of reciprocating weight going on.
Plan your lines and ride smoothly is the way to have fun on them. They like long sweepers, not tight little back roads.

I had a Daytona (same motor as that Centauro) and that was a tough thing to ride: on/off throttle with lots of driveline snatch from the 2 U-joints. I never rode a Centauro so maybe that was a bit better but that Daytona would have killed me if I hadn't sold it.
The V85 is nimble, I sold my 1100 Breva after lots of mods to help get it through tight twisties, but its heart was in the sweepers and we parted with irreconcilable differences.(it's not me, it's you)
The V85 is already an old friend, Most certainly not to everybody's taste, but we get on just fine....
Peter H

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Enjoy mine

2014 California Touring, the first time I saw this bike a few years back, I knew I had to have one. Found this one used and at a very decent price. Comfortable, fast, ton of electronics that I am still learning, my go to on a trip of any distance....
BTW, I only use the huge Corbin "commode" seat back on a really long trip, which are few and far between, I know it is ugly as hell but really comfortable.....

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
JohnD63,
Pictures, please!

Sorry for not responding, i had completely forgotten about this post.

We met up with a couple of hundred Guzzi riders in a large car park in Milan, From there we headed out to Como to the main event. It was an impressive site as 100's of Guzzis made their way to Como.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts