Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello first off I would like to say this site rocks and is full of so much information. I Picked up a 2004 790 america with 1300 miles for 4k, it needs a few things, but i love it none the less. Heck when i bought the bike a guy on a harley stopped to talk and i was gassing it up in the truck bed. I just wanted to post some pictures and get some opinions on how well i did. The bike has a triple from a rocket III not sure what year. chopped tail, fishtail pipes, black powdercoat, and etc. Everything else is stock. I need to fix a couple of things before riding season. front brake is off the bike and all I have is LF caliper and a rotor that I was given along with the bike. The rotor doesnt look like what i have been looking at for rocket parts. I need bolts for the hub, brake line, lever, and Bolts to hold the caliper. Does anyone know if it bolts directly to the forks or is it on a bracket? Other parts I need to get on the bike are turn signals front and back, grips and handle bars ( i dont think the current ones will have comfort), digital speedo ( looking at an acewell), and also the exhaust is way to loud..... sounds great but ill get pulled over everyday if i keep it. Is there some kind of baffles i can put in to keep the look and tone it down? Anyways enough for now lets hear what you have to say...

Btw this is my first bike thats mine, had a license and MSF since i was 17 and i was looking at buell xb's until i saw this beauty

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Looks like you have some work ahead of you but a great starting point.

For information on parts check out the fiches on Bikebandit.com.

Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Nice looking beast, have fun!

·
Registered
45 Posts
looks like you got a nice pickup. best of luck finding all the parts you need. you will have a nice scoot when you are all done. are you going to paint it or leave it polished

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yes,
You might consider a stock Bonnie / T100 tank to "thin her down a bit" for a more bobber look. Looks like a "TnT" bike that wouldn't do well in comfort with that seat... Other wise you'll just be going to Tavern to Tavern on it... No long rides w/o major "monkey butt"...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Whoa !

id say ,,you got an excellent deal ,,you `re going ta have a blast gettin` everything sorted out to your likin, you cant even look at that bike without your mind being filled with all the different ways to do things ,,,or not ,its all up to you ,,good luck with it ! summers coming,,well spring anyway lol ,,but then i dont see any snow in your photos,,,,,,

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
My butt is hurting just from looking at the seat..OUCH!!!

otherwise looks like a fun project.
It is a common misconception that you need a big overstuffed seat for it to be comfortable.If his butt fits that seat properly,thats a ride all day seat. Look at photo`s of early farm tractors.Big cast iron clam shells that your dad and grandpa sat in ALL DAY.Its the shape of the seat,not the padding,that makes the difference.The highly touted Corbins have 3/4 to an inch max of foam in the bottom of their "bucket".Its the contouring of them that supports your inner thigh and the perimeter of your butt that does the job. Most guys can sit on their wooden toilet seat longer than the stock Bonnie seat without discomfort. Next time you remove your seat,sit right on the frame rails for a minute.Even that has a good contour.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the story about the seat is that its from a 60's workout machine it looks rough but it contours to me granted i dont balloon up lol. I have a few questions, can someone give me some headway on some baffles for my pipes there just to dang loud. Also does anyone know if the rocket III uses a caliper bracket or mounts directly to the fork. My intentions are to get the tank and the tail airbrushed with riveted panels like a 1930's bomber..... and maybe a chick on the triumph emblem ....... thoughts?

BTW rod i love your bike and your ever changing style. ever decide on a set of pipes yet? I also might have to use your idea for tail lights and blinkers how are they working out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts