Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys;
As you can see from the number of posts, I'm a newbie. Have an '02 Sprint RS and it's time for new tires. I'm from a Supermoto background - I know what works for my needs there - but what rubber is out there that works well for the RS? :confused:

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Cowboy

·
Registered
124 Posts
:eek: Now you've done it... the Fun Police :policeman: will be here in a minute and tell you to use the search function...

Seriously though, there's plenty to get you started here.

Enjoy.

Muz

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi, guys;
As you can see from the number of posts, I'm a newbie. Have an '02 Sprint RS and it's time for new tires. I'm from a Supermoto background - I know what works for my needs there - but what rubber is out there that works well for the RS? :confused:

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Cowboy
you will find nearly everything you want to know about maintenance in the....wait for iiiiit....Maintenance thread ... :p

In the mean time...here ya go

http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-tips-and-tricks-for-your-sprint/

Third sticky post down

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Hi Cowboy and welcome to the forum.

I have a Pilot Power 2CT on the front and a regular Pilot Power on the back. I find it a good combo IMO and have tried a few BT020, BT014, BT016, Dunlop 208RR (now that WAS a good tyre).

The PP combo is great for the twisties and gives me reasonable mileage for the type of riding I do and that is the crux of the matter.

What type of riding do you do mainly and mileage that you expect for a set.

The RS are quite heavy on tyres in the front and do have a tendency to push hard through corners. This can cause them to scrub and cup badly if the tyre is not suited to the bike.

I would get the combo again tomorrow if I had to. Hope this helps. P.S. tell us where you are. It does help :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Cowboy and welcome to the forum.

What type of riding do you do mainly and mileage that you expect for a set.

The RS are quite heavy on tyres in the front and do have a tendency to push hard through corners. This can cause them to scrub and cup badly if the tyre is not suited to the bike.

I would get the combo again tomorrow if I had to. Hope this helps. P.S. tell us where you are. It does help :)

Thanks for the responses, guys;
I have NO idea what kind of mileage to expect; supermoto skins in one afternoon - so anything beyond that is a plus. I'm don't hammer the old girl that way, though. I have noticed exactly what you mentioned about the front end - a set of handlebar risers didn't help much, either. :(

The combo idea appeals to me - is this a common solution?

BTW - I'm in Southern California, and while I do commute to work a bit, a spirited nip through the canyons is a good bit of fun on a sunny day.

Cheers, and thanks again,
Cowboy

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome

Hi and Welcome Cowboy:)

The guys have already guided you to our tyres sticky.

I have ridden on many brands of different tyres and used to test new tyres for my tyre supplier when a new model came out.

Your questions about mileage etc will be totally determined how and where you ride and also what sort of tyre you choose.

If you flick through the tyre stickie there is a section where there are about 8 comprehensive reviews with detail on handling and wear etc.
There are about 6 that I have posted up and two that dolson (Don) has done and many more.

My personal favourite tyre is the Michelin Pilot Race medium, but that is for fairly extreme riding and I live in a hot climate, I get 3000kms or less per set.
I am currently shod with the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT which I have had many sets of both these and the single compound ones and I average 4500kms a rear and only slightly more out of a front.

I do not commute and live near some very nice twisty hill ranges.:D

On the new member thing;
Don and I ask all our noobs to please read the forum stickies to get a better idea how we run this forum.:)

cheers and welcome,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys;
I have NO idea what kind of mileage to expect; supermoto skins in one afternoon - so anything beyond that is a plus. I'm don't hammer the old girl that way, though. I have noticed exactly what you mentioned about the front end - a set of handlebar risers didn't help much, either. :(

BTW - I'm in Southern California, and while I do commute to work a bit, a spirited nip through the canyons is a good bit of fun on a sunny day.

Cheers, and thanks again,
Cowboy

So Cal!?

I am in Temecula...if you are close we need to go for a ride :)

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
I did it for 2 reasons. One was because I was tired of getting 1 rear to 1 and a quarter front wear as opposed to 1 to 2 like I use to get in the olden days (picture of crooked finger waggling and pointing here). I liked the idea of changing the two at the same tyre change and Two: I like a stickier front as it gives "me" more confidence in my front end.

There is nothing worse than not having confidence in your front end! :rolleyes:

I know DaveM and welshrob well and they ride MUCH harder than I ever could and they don't use a combination of tyres. It is personally choice in the end.

Good luck and tell us what you decide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts