Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! I'm new here. My name is Jason, I live in Dallas Texas and I have an old bike fetish. I own about 15 of them ranging from 1962 to 1982, including a 1965 Yamaha YGS1T, a few Honda Superhawks, a 1965 Triumph TR6SR, a 1971 T120 cafe/bitsa bike, a 1971 T25T, 1974 Honda CB750 and a 1974 Suzuki TS250.

My latest project is a 2001 Bonneville America that was wrecked bad enough to rip the front motor mounts from the cases and ruin the frame. I traded an old dirtbike for the pile, took off the good parts, and got the broken motor mounts welded back on. Last week I dropped the motor into a bare Thruxton rolling chassis and here I am today, trying to make a mangled Bonneville America wiring harness fit. I ordered the Haynes manual, but if anyone has a digital copy of the wiring diagram, I sure would appreciate it. I'm missing a lot of pieces, but I'm stubborn as hell and ready to get started.

If anyone needs Bonneville America parts, PM me and I'll see if I can help. If you have Thruxton take-off parts, I'm looking for a front fender, levers, front brake master cylinder and reservoir, throttle, headpipes, lower motor mount plates, airbox, tank, seat, taillight and signal lights, brackets, bolts, etc.

Thanks for reading this far! I look forward to learning and helping out when I can.

JB

[ This message was edited by: JEB on 2006-11-13 18:24 ]

·
Registered
290 Posts
JEB

customcafe has a complete tail light listed in the parts section of this forum, SCCTrim has a gas tank listed as well.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
JEB

Welcome!

Continue tomonitor the Classified section here; and shoot some pics,when you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
that sounds really cool, and you have the opportunity to make some cool custom parts.

What would be sweet is to get some custom pipes fabricated (stainless steel of course), something nice and high up, but still in the Cafe Racer vein.

Also, you could scour up/make a custom tank too. I think old GS750 tanks are pretty cool looking, you could get a fabricator (or maybe you can do the work, you sound pretty handy) to make the tank work.

I'm interested in the experience of riding a Thrux with the 270 degree motor, that will be a great project, keep us posted and post pictures!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help, guys. The partsbandit diagrams will be useful, and I have found a few things that I need in the classifieds.

Here's what the bike looked like after the wreck (PS: Those aren't my legs.):

[ This message was edited by: JEB on 2006-11-14 18:46 ]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sweatmachine, I'm with you, this is a good chance to make a unique machine that's all mine, with handmade or repurposed parts.

I have a buddy that builds choppers and fabricates tanks, so we'll see what he can do with this CZ tank:

and I have these ****tail shakers laying around:

that will go great with swept back pipes like this, made out of stainless:

Wish me luck! I stopped by my local Triumph shop today, and looked at the Thruxton alongside the America. the wiring harness is going to be a big problem, because the switchgear is in a different place, the harness was damaged in the wreck, and the Thruxton has different lights and switches in different places.

Either I spend a few months making a new harness, or I buy a Thruxton harness/ignitor/coils from Triumph (around $1200... GULP). Like I said, wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Excuse me sir, but do you have Sir Walter Raleigh in a can?

Why yes, yes we do.

Well... let him out!

:-D

If that doesn't age me, I don't know what could...

Great pics, great project!

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I'd make my own harness, sure it will take time but you'll be more familiar with the electrics to diagnose any problems.

That tank with those cocktail shakers would look sweet on your Thruxamerica.

Good work!

I think I remember reading that the motor in the America/Speedmaster was offset a little to compensate for the wider rear tire, did you notice that when mounting the motor in the Thruxton frame?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmmmm, well the left side swingarm spacer insets about 1/8 of an inch further into the frame clamp than it did before. The countershaft sprocket is lining up correctly on the right side, though. I'm going to run it and just keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
sweatmachine wrote:
I'd make my own harness, sure it will take time but you'll be more familiar with the electrics to diagnose any problems.
I agree with sweatmachine, Jason. The harness is not that hard, you'll learn a lot, and if you ever have to do any troubleshooting you'll be miles ahead of someone who has no idea where anything goes.
If you have the old harness, lay it out (even if its in pieces) and you'll see how it's supposed to look. Check that you have the connectors at the ends of each section as some might be hard to come by. Then take it 1 wire at a time, making sure you use at least the same size wire as the original. Some here might suggest you go a size larger for the headlights, etc., which is good. But you can keep it simple if you want.
If I were doing this I would also take the opportunity to put a relay in for the lights if the America doesn't have one, and a relay in for a couple of big honkin' horns.

Walt

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
This will be an interesting bike when you are done with it. Please just remember that rat bobbers are a fad that will look really off in a few years. Go classic! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just got my Triumph manual today, with four different wiring diagrams, all in color. Let the cutting begin! Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys.

Dr. English, this one is definitely going classic. I'm saving the rat bobber look for this one:

and this one:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Man, my fingers are still scorched from all the soldering this weekend. I stretched the wiring harness out, cut and patched a few wires, tucked everything in and checked the fit. I had to drill some new holes to mount the coils, tucked the regulator under the rear fender, and zip tied the ignitor under the frame tube, but it looks like it's all going to fit ok!

A few updated pictures, mocked up with a Honda Superhawk tank and CB350 fenders.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts