Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Barnett green clutch springs coming in the mail any day now. Am I making a mistake not replacing the clutch cover gasket when I take it off, or can I get away with it if I am careful and torque properly and putting it back on?

·
30,398 Posts
Replace the gasket. It's not worth screwing around with. I just had my clutch cover off, and the old one tore in several places - which was no surprise. I don't think I have ever managed to keep one of these paper type gaskets whole when separating engine casings.

The new gasket is about 7 bucks - not worth messing with. Clean the old one off carefully - a gasket scraper really is the ideal tool - sears sell them. Razor blades work, but it is very easy to scratch or nick the surface of the engine casings.

Get those surfaces very clean and dry before reassembling with the new gasket.

Do it right, and you don't even need gasket sealant.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
+1

you'll NEVER be able to get the factory-installed gasket off in one (or 2, or 10) piece(s). They glue 'em on or something.

I've replaced that gasket, and since then I've taken the cover off a few times and been able to keep the same gasket (that I installed), but I always have a spare handy when I know I'm taking the cover off. I hate waiting on parts and not being able to ride!

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
it's impossible to reuse the gasket, and to be honest why would you even try to? a clutch cover gasket is something like $8. dont skimp on the job and do it right.

i replaced my clutch springs this past weekend and was the second time taking the clutch cover off. yes, it takes time scraping the old gasket off, but it will ensure a perfect fit when you put the cover back on and it wont leak.

in addition to the gasket i used a product called "the right stuff (recommended by the guys at british customs). i put just a really, really, really thin bead on the motor and then put the gasket over it and then a really, really thin bead on the clutch cover and have had no problems since putting the coverr back on.

on a side note good luck with the clutch springs. was a very easy job, just make sure that you take your time when reinstalling the bolts and cover on the springs. i didnt have the triumph tool that lines up the hole for the dowel that fits in there, so it was tedious and trial and error, but in the end it was worth it. no more clutch slipping.

i went with the gold springs eventhough many recommended the stiffer green springs. havent had a problem with the gold springs and have had the bike up to 115mph indicated and clutch hasn't slipped yet and the clutch pull is still nice and smooth and not difficult to pull.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts