Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of Colder CPC metal fuel fittings and installed them while doing my 24k maintenance.

I had the bike all put together. I fueled it up with a gallon of gas, and it fired right up sounding great. I moved it up to the garage so I could do the oil change the following day.

Next day I fire her up to drive around a bit to warm the oil for the change. When I get back I smell fuel. I shut her down for the night.

Today I have time to work on her, so I pop the seats and side panels to get a view of the lines. I turn the key on to pressurize the lines, and this is what I see.

I popped off the fuel fittings and one of the o-rings was split. I was elated, thinking this was going to be an easy fix... WRONG.

After spending ten bucks on new Viton o-rings and hose clamps from AutoZone (only place that carried the Viton rings, and they were in a big variety pack.), I run home and put new rings on both fittings. Still leaking. I put new hose clamps on both hoses. Still leaking. I had another 3/8" barbed connection I ordered by mistake, so I used that. STILL LEAKING!

It's got to be coming from either the bottom threads, the mating surfaces, or the hose connection. I don't see any evidence of fuel around the top fittings.

And looking at the way it's dripping / running, I think it's coming from the mating surfaces. If it was the threads it would be running down the plate. If it was leaking from the hose it would be dripping off the hose. But I'm all but positive it's dripping from the connection point. It does not well up around the hose until it's been dripping for a for a while. But after changing the o-ring and then the entire fitting I don't see how it could be the barbed male fitting. That only leaves the female threaded fitting. And unless it's got some major flaw with it that I can't detect, I'm at a loss for what else to check.

I don't want to pull and drain the tank, and replace the female fitting just to find there is nothing wrong with it, anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Had a similar problem a while back with my mates 2003 9551. Turned out to be a hairline fracture in the plastic union going into the tank. Repair was beyond us, so off to the dealer with stripped down unit for a new union to be fitted. About £80 from memory. Not cheap but problem cured.

Good hunting, JJ

·
Registered
166 Posts
are those hoses backwards? isn't the smaller one the one that is the bottom fitting that is the input line to the fuel rail? The bottom one is smaller and goes to the right side of the rail, the left side of the rail, the shorter, larger diameter hose, returns to the top fitting?

I can't tell from the picture...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine are metal, and the leak is coming from the fitting to fitting mating surfaces, not the threads or hose connection. As if I have a damaged o-ring. But the rings are fine, as are the replacement Viton ones I used to troubleshoot.

Yes, the hoses are backwards in the photo. I had swapped them and turned on the key to make sure the lead was not following the male fitting / hose. It's not. It stays with the bottom threaded fitting, dripping from it's opening about a drip every second.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Evil, I'd start from scratch. It could be the threads, but you're not seeing it until it's leaked enough to pool at the coupling. Did you use any thread sealant? Most important to use some. There may be some gunk caught up in the one way valve not allowing it to close completely. It could still be the o-rings too, if they're slightly the incorrect size, or you've pinched them on the way in. When pushing the fittings back in, you really should ease them in with the clip pushed to make sure you don't jag the o-ring. Also, did you check the inside of the hoses? Are there any imperfections there? Clamps too tight?

IMO it's best to start from scratch and re-check everything.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do... But I'm in a holding pattern now. The bike is in the garage now and temps have dropped back into the "don't want ice cold fuel on my hands" range.

Also QuickCouplings.net offered to send me a new female fitting but it will take about a week to get it.

I used a dab of ThreeBond 1194 on the fittings.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Success! Got the new fitting installed and she is not dripping a drop!

And now the bike is completely reassembled with a completed valve job, new filters, new oil, new plugs. She sounds great. Just need to get the intake balance done, then change the fork oil and brake fluid.

Oh, and find a Lucifer Orange front fairing :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
excellent!

there is a good post on "balancing throttle bodies" - if you don't have the manual - read it.... it took me a bit to figure out that I had to hold the throttle slightly open for the bike to even idle.... then I had to figure out how to adjust the things with one hand while manually holding the idle to a constant speed.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had thought of doing it myself, even thought through the throttle fun. Was going to use the poor man's cruise control to hold the throttle where I needed it.
http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/27033-cat-o-ring-throttle-cruise-control.html

But having just got the fuel fittings corrected, I don't feel like monkeying around with the tank off to the side, and paying out for a carbtune right now. I wanted to have the dealer look the bike over and figured I'd just have them do the ECM check and throttle balance at the same time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spoke too soon. :mad:

I've ridden the bike for 2 days now... half a tank of gas and didn't see / smell a sign of gas leaking till I was putting the bike up last night. I turned the key back on to activate the fuel pump and sure enough I saw a couple drips of gasoline, though not near as bad as before... Unfortunately I have a full tank of gas so it's going to have to drip a bit more before I can burn enough gas out of it to man handle the tank removal again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Necro posting here but, did you ever fix that leak?
What sizes did you buy?
Thinking of buying these same fittings.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Use your extra fuel fittings to make a set of hoses to connect your fuel tank when it's off the bike. Those, along with an extension connection for the fuel pump electrics makes working on the engine really easy! It doesn't matter if the service fuel lines leak a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts