Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i put a zard or M4 or any little 3 to 1 exhaust on my bike i will have to get the bike tuned up to work with it? I guess i was just wondering how much this is all going to cost me and what the best way to do it would be....thanks
:???:

[ This message was edited by: Krash on 2007-02-25 03:09 ]

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
Tuneboy is the way to go with an aftermarket exhaust. The Tuneboy software can be downloaded fer free off of their website, but you have to pay fer the cable and the key fer yer bike. The cost is $400. But believe me, it's worth it! :wink: :-D

·
Registered
919 Posts
Lots of people with just an exhaust mod use the Triumph TORS tune which your dealer can load for you. It may or may not be a very good match depending on what exhaust you use. If you plan on doing more extensive mods the TuneBoy is really the best way to go. Some people use the Power Commander but it is very limited in what it can do compared to the TuneBoy. You can start with the various tunes available on the web. Ideally you spend some time on a dyno and make your own tune for your specific engine. Horsepower costs $$$, how fast do you want to go?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I thought I read something about tuneboys doing datalogging so a dyno isn't really nescesary. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

I also think this maybe the one of the first purchases I make, but I would like some reassurance that I am not going to hook up my lap-top and turn my s3 into a boat anchor..

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
There ia the ability to log with the TuneBoy Datalogger when connected to a laptop. But tuning with a narrowband oxygen sensor is not recommended.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So what are you saying? Only work with the downloadable maps or only use a dyno when tuning? I am not being a smartass, I just want clarification.

[ This message was edited by: kcjones on 2007-02-25 09:37 ]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2007-02-25 09:23, kcjones wrote:
I thought I read something about tuneboys doing datalogging so a dyno isn't really nescesary. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

I also think this maybe the one of the first purchases I make, but I would like some reassurance that I am not going to hook up my lap-top and turn my s3 into a boat anchor..
First off, yes: Tuneboy does do some datalogging. However this does not make a dyno unnecessary. The data it logs is limited compared to what you'll get from a quality dyno. It's more of use to fine tune your bike for the street after having set it up properly on the dyno.

Secondly, it's not necessary to use the Dyno or the Datalogging feature to install a good tune. There are several very good tunes already available for you to try and see which one you like best.

Thirdly, if you do hook up your bike to your laptop and install a tune that doesn't work well (turns your bike into a boat anchor) it's really easy to go back to a base tune, or to try any other tune that's available. You aren't making any permanent changes to anything.

As with anything, you'll get better results if you educate yourself first and know what you're doing. Simply tweaking your air/fuel ratios wildly or modifying your timing is probably going to cause more trouble than horsepower.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, as long as it's fairly user friendly, it sounds like a worthwile investment. I remember reading a thread where somone said their s3 starts faster after installing a Tuneboy, that alone could make it a good buy!

·
Registered
114 Posts
kcjones,
I installed an M4 exhaust and had the shop install theTORS tune#20103. It's for an aftermarket exhaust with the SAIF (air injection system) plugged or removed. The bike runs excellent. I might find a little more HP if I wanted to spend the big bucks for the TB or PC plus dyno time and $$, but I opted not to. It runs fine the way it is. Its up to you which way you want to go. I'd try the free tune first and see how you like it before you spend a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Lots of information on this forum can be found by using the search function.

Depending on the flow improvements in the new exhaust, you can be just fine running the stock or TORS tune.

However there is a fairly large improvement with correct fuel and ignition tuning - especially in the midrange.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everybody the info is really really helpful. i love this site :hihi:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts