Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
new exhaust and jets too rich?

I have an 08 bonnie t100, today I had an Arrow titanium full exhaust put on. The dealer jetted the carbs with 132's and I belive 40 or 42's they also took of the air injection. When I rode it home it pulled good running it through the gears but at 70 in 5th it started to stumble when you go full throttle. I dont know how many shims they put under the needles, they said they turned the screws out 3 turns. I took the snorkel out and it seemed to take the stumble out. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have an 08 bonnie t100, today I had an Arrow titanium full exhaust put on. The dealer jetted the carbs with 132's
Firstly, welcome to the forum Jim!

With a stock air box your dealer has jetted your bike WAY TOO RICH!!
They should never have fitted 130's, and wouldnt have fitted them if they really knew what they were doing!!
Also no need to step up to 42's if thats what they've also done.

Your choices are to take it back and instruct them to sort it out or, preferably, start opening up the airbox.

Your jetting at the moment would equate to not only the snorkle being gone, but also the restrictor plate and having an enlarged intake aperture.
Have a look here....

http://www.triumphrat.net/1128200-post6.html

You have a great set of pipes, make the most of them and start ripping into that airbox!!

V.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Boy oh boy I have to agree with Ventura. That is way to rich for stock airbox.

I would think that with the amount you paid for that exhaust that they would include some dyno time as well. Even if they did a run they would see that you are way to rich.

125/40's would be a good place to start. Ventura will be able to steer you better than me.

·
Registered
915 Posts
120s or 125s would be a good starting point for the main jets. Every engine is bit different, but 132s seems way too rich to me. My idle was crappy with the stock 40s (repeated stalling), even at 3+ turns out. However, 42s at 1 to 1 1/4 turns out was a significant improvement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice! Yeah it was way to rich I took my factory 110 jets and drilled them out to 120, pilots are 42's 3 turns out and she is running like a top! I am going to get a air box eliminator some time, I may try gutting the air box for now.:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey is there any pics on here of a modded airbox? I havent took a look inside of mine. Whats in there that needs to come out?

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
The whole thing.

Best thing to do once you start mod's, is to remove the airbox completely and jet from there according to the silencers you have.

This is what I have learned from all the experienced guys here. And it has netted much gain in performance & HP on my bike.:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah thats kinda what i figured I put cold air intakes on all of my cars and trucks, makes a good difference getting rid of the factory air boxes and resonators!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I have to agree. I was somewhat skeptical of taking the airbox out but did it and it makes that motor spin up quick. I wont go back.

Get a kit from TPUSA, New Bonneville, Bella Corse or British Customs.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Or, check out Ventura's and JohnnyC's dual entry airbox/filter mod. It produces incredible gains and is cost friendly.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hey is there any pics on here of a modded airbox? I havent took a look inside of mine. Whats in there that needs to come out?
All the answers to all your Q's will be here....

http://www.triumphrat.net/1132928-post9.html

Whether you choose to remove the airbox completely or to leave it in place and gut it.

Lots of choices (and resonings) and they're all yours.

Enjoy!!

V.

PS....... JimGuy, I'd be interested in just how you "took my factory 110 jets and drilled them out to 120"
:confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a full set of jet drill bits I borrowed from a motorcycle mechanic friend of mine. It has a chart that shows what size bit to use to make the jet size you want. I checked it today against a new kehin 120 jet, the bit I used fits the jet perfect!:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts