Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big, brown truck dropped off a set of Epco slip-ons for the Speedmaster today. Ten minutes later it was running down the highway. Relatively quiet at idle and just putting around but barks loud when you roll in the throttle. Light purr at 60 mph, but gets loud in a hurry when you give it a handful of throttle.

Haven't changed the air box or filter yet, nor have I re-jetted. AI is also still intact. No deceleration popping, but pops and crackles a bit in neutral when you run the throttle up and down.

OK jetting gurus, how lean is this setup? You know, no changes except the slip-ons....

[ This message was edited by: kballowe on 2006-04-17 17:58 ]

·
Registered
781 Posts
The '05 Speedmasters come with 120 mains. You're probably OK on an otherwise stock bike. Any other changes and you'll want to go fatter.

-brent

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If you keep the airbox bottled up, the pipes will make only a minimal difference to your jetting. If you leave the airbox stock, you can probably get away with the simple addition of two shims per needle. Open it up (ie: de-snorkelize and add a UniFilter), and you'll notice the lean surging and popping. If you do this, I would go to 130 mains, 42 pilots, and two shims on each needle. Don't forget the idle mixture...three turns out from fully seated works for most.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My Epcos should be coming very soon and my bike will be like yours--not other engine modifications. All I really want is my bike to not sound like a sewing machine which I hope the epcos will do without additional engine modificaiton.

Later I plan on doing the airbox removeal and all the other mods. For now I just want a quick fix for the sewingmachine sound my bike has.

[ This message was edited by: schwartzkm on 2006-04-18 06:06 ]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 2006-04-18 06:01, schwartzkm wrote:
Mine should be coming very soon and my bike will be like yours--not other modifications. All I really want is my bike to not sound like a sewing machine...tell me yours no longer sounds like that!
I held them up to the light and they're straight-through. Ahhhh, THIS should make some noise. Very reserve at idle and respectable when "easing" through the gears, so if you're trying to be quiet, it can be done. Well, mostly quiet. OK, quiet enough that the fuzz isn't going to give you the eye. However, rolling in the throttle makes them come alive. Pretty cool. :lgh:

The K&N filter is sitting here, as the AI removal kit. The jets didn't show up in the package so I'll check on them today.

Now I just need to find a solo seat........

·
Registered
222 Posts
GREAT! That is what I wanted when I purchased the epcos--ability to ride quit (in the morning) but to be heard if I run in the 3500 range on my tach.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts