Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone tried this...?

www.vibranator.com

The 650 cc single thumper crowd are giving it some attention. Its only new on the market so not a lot of experiences posted. I experience an reasonable amount of vibration on my 04 Thruxton clip-ons. The solutions seems to come down to filling the bars with lead slot/sand, or fill the handlebar with rubber similar to the 'Bar Snake' product. I have bar end mirrors so weighted bar ends are not an option

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The only thing that should stop vibration on a Triumph is the kill switch. :D LOL

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The theory is sound. These type of devices are common not only on helos, but also some Beech King Airs (twin turbo prop fixed wing general aviation). The problem for me is that on airplanes these things are tuned to a specific frequency, and are specific to not only a specific aircraft, but a certain location on the airframe. I do not understand how they can tune the harmonics on these for general use - unless- and it's a big unless - they require the rider to experimentally tune the mass and length to damp the vibration at a certain rpm.

Don't get me wrong - the idea should work, but I don't understand the practical aspects of installation and tuning.

Dick

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hitting the kill switch is a solution of 'last resort'...I expect and want some vibration characteristic of a twin but my throttle hand goes numb after an hour (typically when I hit reserve...). The numbness is worse when fanging through the curves when I am on the front brakes a lot. I'm leaning towards the no.8 birdshot. Not overly happy about adding weight to the bike

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fair dinkum, lay off the beer? Lets get our priorities right...I have no idea what no.8 shot is, I am assuming its the little balls. The one and only gun shop was shut this morning in San Francisco. Anyhow, its seems to be a popular approach to reducing vibration

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hitting the kill switch is a solution of 'last resort'...I expect and want some vibration characteristic of a twin but my throttle hand goes numb after an hour (typically when I hit reserve...). The numbness is worse when fanging through the curves when I am on the front brakes a lot. I'm leaning towards the no.8 birdshot. Not overly happy about adding weight to the bike
Shout youself a pair of kuriyakin (spelling?) grips. This will do the job.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
OK - it's not the grip, it's not the handlebar, it's not the bike: it's the rider! Or rather how the rider rides!

My story - for what it's worth. On my RS my hands would go numb and I would develop tennis elbow type pain. I shelled out for bar risers. The pain did not go away. I got new gloves with a padded palm. Ditto. I rode less. As soon as I rode again the pain came back. I blamed the vibration of the bike.

I got a book by Lee Parks, mainly 'cos he had an RS on the cover! LOL. I read that MY riding position was to blame. I was gripping too tightly, I was bearing weight on my wrists, on braking I was taking the force through my forearms. My core was not taking the weight or the strain.

I learned to grip less, not put weight on my arms, take the weight through my kness and my body core. I learned to relax while riding, and to keep my elbows lower than my wrists - where possible. On braking I keep my arms relaxed and don't tense up.

No more pain in my wrists. No more numbness either! And it's cheaper than trying to fix your bike.

The best excercise - ride a push bike!

·
Registered
198 Posts
OK - it's not the grip, it's not the handlebar, it's not the bike: it's the rider! Or rather how the rider rides!

My story - for what it's worth. On my RS my hands would go numb and I would develop tennis elbow type pain. I shelled out for bar risers. The pain did not go away. I got new gloves with a padded palm. Ditto. I rode less. As soon as I rode again the pain came back. I blamed the vibration of the bike.

I got a book by Lee Parks, mainly 'cos he had an RS on the cover! LOL. I read that MY riding position was to blame. I was gripping too tightly, I was bearing weight on my wrists, on braking I was taking the force through my forearms. My core was not taking the weight or the strain.

I learned to grip less, not put weight on my arms, take the weight through my kness and my body core. I learned to relax while riding, and to keep my elbows lower than my wrists - where possible. On braking I keep my arms relaxed and don't tense up.

No more pain in my wrists. No more numbness either! And it's cheaper than trying to fix your bike.

The best excercise - ride a push bike!
When riding a cruiser there is no weight on your hands as such. I know what he means. There is a harmonic vibration at some engine revs and after a long ride the hands can be a little numb. Those grips sure help.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Either i\'m missing something or i have a exceptional bike. My speedmaster has less vibration than any bike i\'ve ever owned. And it\'s so little i never even think about it. Maybe the 270 is different?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Err... arn't the thruxton clipons solid aluminimum, at least mine were untill I changed them for F1 eng. high rise jobbies.:)

·
Vendor
2,435 Posts
Excellent advice, but once you've got the hang of this and your bars still tingle, a lump of lead up them placed where the grips are will cure it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Err... arn't the thruxton clipons solid aluminimum, at least mine were untill I changed them for F1 eng. high rise jobbies.:)
yep, they sure are!! I just tried to fill my solid clip- ons with bird shot :p. I did add some weight to my bar end mirror which might help. I tried loosening my grip today but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. back to the drawing board...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts