Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent been here in a while so appologies if this has been discussed. I was thinking that since the 955 is due for a remodel, they should up the Displacement to around 1100 and do to the literbikes what the 675 did to the 600's.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
That is one topic that needs to be continued! Triumph certainly has the motor for it with the 1050. A 675 type design , along with the usd forks, radial brakes ect. could be easily done with existing parts now standard in the range. It may interfere with the Sprint in sales so it may be in the plans for '08. I enjoy the old 955i ('05) as a great all rounder, and now that I finally got the suspension sorted out, it gives plenty of thrills. Even if it is simply a 1050 Daytona, with the 675 type weight and design, it could be a really fast bike!

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I still believe in keeping it smaller that 1000cc. Possibly a 999 or 975. For insurance reasons also weight reduction. I think with the technologies today, they can make enough power from a 999 that would be more than enough. Heck they can probably keep it a 955 and update the frame and suspension(that really is descent for the typical street rider once adjusted).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just look at the new Ducati 1098, those boys have got it right. Unless Triumph come up with a contender that's my next bike! The 675 is fantastic; it handles superbly, looks and sounds great and despite what people say is perfectly comfortable but it just has not got the grunt of the big bike. More is more it's that simple!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm not so sure more is more.I think it is as far as mid-range grunt but after a test ride on the 675 it has enough for the road and it revs to 14000.That's enough.I miss my 955 Daytona but would be happy enough with the 675.Especially with an Arrow exhaust.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
How big can the 675 get with bore and stroke? 800, 900 cc? Or will the 1050 be presented in an unleashed form bent on making maximum hp & torque? Only John Bloor knows for sure.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
These are not 100% positive answers but they are pretty close. The 675 may be able to stretch to an 800. I doubt it could be made into a 900. Why bother just keep the current 955 if you want a 900cc

The 1050 will not in my opinion EVER be made into a replacement for any litre sport bike more than it already is. The stroke is to long to get more power and keep the level of reliability necessary for a bike with a warranty. The 1050 is pretty much at it's maximum now. The 1050 already has a red line dropped to 9250 rpm's where the standard 955 was 9700 rpm. The Daytona upgraded the rods, pistons, and liners to safely rev to the 11,300 (I think) red line. So, a 1050 in Daytona tuning.......NOPE!

What I see them doing (I hope!) is a 675 based motor of less than 1000cc (just my personal preference, since most people can't use the current power in a Daytona 955, but will never admit it!) with all of the technology that is in the current 675. Somewhere between a 955 and a 995 would be my preference (975 sounds nice) if anyone was asking me. Head and port design, stacked gearbox, slipper clutch, radial brakes, inverted forks would make for a great bike. If the rules will permit an 1150cc triple for racing, either make a top end kit as Yamaha used to do years ago, or make a race version with suspension from Ohlins or Penske, etc. and charge for it.

I would even suggest brining back the current Daytona 955 with a half fairing and slightly detuned motor as a new RS. The RS style half faired bikes are getting popular again and the big three are all brining out new models of them this year. A 130-135hp RS with the current 955 Daytona bits would be a nice upgrade to me.

I don't want to give up the tractable RS power for an 11,000 rpm rush. I think they could make a new bike to fill the semi-naked gap for nothing. Hell if you slip in a 1050 Sprint instead it's just a parts bin bike, but I doubt they want the competition to the Sprint 1050, so keep it a 955! now they are different. I guess I just would like to see the RS get a second chance and get more credit for being such a great all around 'Real World' bike.

:asb: Sorry!

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2006-11-23 01:29 ]

·
Registered
90 Posts
My money is still firmly on the '08 release of a new big bore Daytona. '1155' (note the '5' as all big triple Daytona's have been,even the early 900 is a 885cc) and will undoubtably be 160-180 hp. Triumph will again do in the new 3 cylinder motor as they always have, POWER & TORQUE.
Based on track record this new engine will develop high HP within a possible 11,000rpm limit.
Mark my words, as with the Rocket & 675, the new big bore Daytona has no choice but to excel, but this time in the big sports bike market. To produce anything less would make lifting the draughting pencil a waste of time.
Will almost certainly have been on the 'board' when or soon after the 675 was implimented.
And I believe it will share a similar look to the 675.
And just in case I'm wrong......I'll have a coldie handy to make the hat pallatable! :-g

1 - 8 of 8 Posts