Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those in the know... Any news about a new Daytona 1050 with tuned motor & sharp styling ala the 675 to compete against the Jap Superbike market as the 675 has done so admirably in the 600?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,284 Posts
now teo, ya know I've even given ya the benefit of the doubt on most of these new threads, but come on man!!! :hammer: If you just click on the DAYTONA forum, and looky right there on the 1st f'n page, WHAM! Come on man, that's just plain lazy right there. :hammer: :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey now Cheap. It was a legit question. Afterall, didn't we (as S3 freaks) invent the 1050 motor and lend it to the Sprint ST? We were even so generous as to lend it to our Tiger friends for 2007. The Daytona can only have it on condition they mod the cams & fueling, giving us another more powerful option later to put even more zip into our Speedies!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
If the new Ducati 1098 are any indication of the future of bikes (160hp and 380ish lbs dry...) then I'm thinking Triumph is going to redo the entire frame, swingarm, and motor for the new big daytona to reduce weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,589 Posts
I was told by a very reliable source inside Triumph:

Quote:
"You will never see a 1050 Daytona."
Unquote:

The unsaid "But" there was that they were working on a new big displacement Daytona engine, but he wouldn't comment on that.

Further, it's been said that the 675 motor is easily capable of being bumped up to 800cc, and possibly more. Or, the new Daytona could be a totally new engine, but based on things learned from the 675 engine.

Don't you think an 800cc Daytona would be a GSXR 750 destroyer? :-D :-D : -D :-D

I think it will be an interesting couple of years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Isn't the new MotoGP class 800cc? Hint hint.

I'm thinking this; it only took Triumph 2-3 years to R&D the 675 according to various magazine reviews of the tech and development behind the 675. From what was said about the 1050 Tiger team being switched to the Tiger from a 'Busa killer project' I have to think Triumph has a very mean bike hiding in the shadows.

Perhaps they'll suprise the hell out of us next fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
see, i was really hoping no one would reply to this one, but, because cheap had to point out the obvious,

i hope kuhlka is right, i'ld like to see it, possibly steering myself away from customing a rocket into a street fighter. (not like the anal-sex mobile in the other thread). but change the geometry and do some other fun bit's to it. get rid of that 130mph limiter. anyway, shut the hell up teo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
On 2006-12-13 21:44, kuhlka wrote:
Isn't the new MotoGP class 800cc? Hint hint.

I'm thinking this; it only took Triumph 2-3 years to R&D the 675 according to various magazine reviews of the tech and development behind the 675. From what was said about the 1050 Tiger team being switched to the Tiger from a 'Busa killer project' I have to think Triumph has a very mean bike hiding in the shadows.

Perhaps they'll suprise the hell out of us next fall.
Yeah that Cycle World article on the Tiger was cool indeed. I think you hit it on the money with the reference to the motoGP displacement. According to the rules on engine configuration they allow three cylinder motors, as long as the bike meets the weight and displacement requirements. I believe Aprillia...correct me if I am wrong has been racing triples for a while. I hope Triumph makes an 800cc motor it would be cool too add them to the mix :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Well, pretty much no matter what it out in fall of 08, I'm getting an 08 or 09 model to reward myself for finishing grad school. SO, Triumph had better have their big daytona or some kind of crazy badass speed triple out by then or I'm getting a Duc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
We won`t ever see a Daytona 1050. Why would Triumph make a new sportsbike that`s much slower than the old one? The bore and stroke of the 1050 motor has been developed for torque. It can`t be tuned to rev and put out the HP like the 955. A daytona 1050 would be no faster than a Sprint. The S3 is currently the highest HP 1050 in the range and it is still well down on the older engined 955 Daytona. If you`re wondering why I`m such a f*****G smartass, this question was brought up when I was doing the Q&A on the factory tour, so take it up with Triumph if you disagree!

:hammer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You may think you are a f*****G smartass, Welshrob, but that was an excellent appraisal as to why the Daytona would need to be a different engine to that of the present stroked 1050!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,589 Posts
On 2006-12-14 05:39, welshrob wrote:
We won`t ever see a Daytona 1050. Why would Triumph make a new sportsbike that`s much slower than the old one? The bore and stroke of the 1050 motor has been developed for torque. It can`t be tuned to rev and put out the HP like the 955. A daytona 1050 would be no faster than a Sprint. The S3 is currently the highest HP 1050 in the range and it is still well down on the older engined 955 Daytona. If you`re wondering why I`m such a f*****G smartass, this question was brought up when I was doing the Q&A on the factory tour, so take it up with Triumph if you disagree!

:hammer:
I will argue this a little bit (not much). The 1050 is certainly capable of more HP, and perhaps as much or more than the 955i Daytona. What's interesting is when you compare the cams between the two motors. The 955i Daytona has far more aggressive cams, for (you guessed it) higher RPM horsepower. The increased stroke isn't that much of a factor. As evidence, note that they both have about the same RPM limit.

You probably could tune a 1050 for 150-160 horse with the appropriate cams and head work, but you'd lose that lovely torque curve we all appreciate. In any case, you'd probably be topped out at that 160 HP mark, which just isn't going to cut it in today's sportbike HP wars.

There's also the issue of the frame and swingarm. The next generation Daytona will probably not have a single side swing arm, and almost certainly will have a D 675 style backbone frame (complete with stacked transmission). It'll be lighter but probably not much stiffer. There's something new on the horizon, and it's not the 1050.

What you heard from the factory was typical double talk, designed to make sure you went away thinking you knew something, when in fact they didn't divulge any real information. Don't worry about it. Happens to the best of us. :-D :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
The theory of a longer stroke motor not being able to be made to produce more horsepower doesn't hold water. The trend lately (06) in MotoGP has moved a little toward longer strokes (Rossi's bike included). Also, look at the specs. on the new Duc. 1098. Yup, longer stroke and it has both high torque 'and' horsepower. They've even been able to push the 'maximum piston speed' up a little latley too. So, they seem to be learning more every year. They've also figured out how to get better mileage to go along with the higher horsepower. Technology marches on. :yayyy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
On 2006-12-15 20:59, 3forme wrote:
The theory of a longer stroke motor not being able to be made to produce more horsepower doesn't hold water. The trend lately (06) in MotoGP has moved a little toward longer strokes (Rossi's bike included). Also, look at the specs. on the new Duc. 1098. Yup, longer stroke and it has both high torque 'and' horsepower. They've even been able to push the 'maximum piston speed' up a little latley too. So, they seem to be learning more every year. They've also figured out how to get better mileage to go along with the higher horsepower. Technology marches on. :yayyy:
It does hold water, longer strokes equal less horsepower at lower revolutions with more torque. Like you said, new technologies in metalurgy are improving max piston speed, but the guys with more than two cylinders will apply it to their motors as well, thus increasing their rpm redlines. As far as the DUC 1098, sure it has a longer stroke, but any inline 4 or V4 configuration will put it to shame.

In 06 Ducati was running a V4 in their motogp bikes, not a twin.

The DUC 1098 is a great looking bike, and the claims are amazing, especially all that induction jazz, and the interesting technique with the elliptical throttle bodies, but we are given a max hp value by the DUC sales guys, but what is the redline.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top