Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a flash on my email from D&D with pics of their new 3 pipe exhaust including a new downpipe that removes the cat in fake titm or polished-beautiful!
from my experience with D&D it will perform and sound really good! Plus the quality and fit will be excellent. Dont know the price yet but it will be worth it. Check it out on D&D site---

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Hi Guys,

I read the installation instructions for the Sprint and noticed the removal of the AI pipe (and installations of caps) as well as the new download that is required for the new exhaust. My question is: Is this the "TOR" program, or some other variation? Just curios...

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Ok Everyone stop and take a deep breath!

There are two options on that site.

Option one is a set of slip ons. This would mean you only needed to load the standard TOR Tune

Option 2 is the Mid pipe and Slip Ons which if you remove the SAI, which yes, I read too, you would need to load the TOR Map that specifically state for bike with after market exhaust and no SAI.

Look at the Tuneboy site for the proper tune number or search it out. I have posted them at least 3 times before and so has OnD.

I will say this about those pipes. They look good but I wouldn't do the down pipe as the faux Ti looks like home handyman garage build.

Just the slip ons would be nice. If they are like the DnD stuff for the Bonnie you can guarantee they will be friggin' loud.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I am glad to see another exhaust option on the market. D&D is well known. If they are like the rest of their line, expect them to howl (loud) above 4K.

Cal explained the tune load correctly. There really shouldn't be a question about it as it is specified in their instructions. Both TOR tunes are basically the same except one does not query for SAI operation.

I hope that mid pipe looks better than it photographs. :D

If it were me installing one, I would go ahead and remove all of the SAI components, instead of just plugging them.

And I like the orientation of the slash cuts! Of all the options, it is the best looking I have seen.

And I definitely like the their torque curve.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Despite all my experience with the IXIL's these would be the cans I would buy next if I own another ST. The reason why is because of how they are the only ones who have cut and curved the exhaust to match the contours of the tail. As much as I like the IXILs quality and sound they still have a bit of a potato gun look sticking out the bum like they do and well, the tridents do too.

I am not big on Chrome though...... I wonder if they come in a black?

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Maybe I'm blind, but is the price on that page?

Cal, the tips are polished Al, so they can be refinished.

Obviously the test mule does not belong to a member?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
"Available in black or polished cans with black ceramic baffles.
Contact your local D&D dealer for price"......

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Just called D&D Direct. Great people and this stuff is new new new.

Midpipe, polished or faux Ti: $139.00 US
Cans, Black and polished: $589.00

They have them instock but not finished so if you want them polished or black its a week to ship from time of order.

Cans will slip on to factory midpipe and does not need the new midpipe. The new midpipe was made to get rid of the little bottle cat in the 07's and 08's so unless you are ordering for a 07-08 I wouldnt bother with the midpipe as the little precat on the 05-05 is farther up the header in the collector area and the midipe wouldn't get rid of that plus for your O2 to function properly you need that little precat in the collector.

Sounds like a good deal to me as they are the same pricea as the IXILs and you dont have to muck around with the undertail.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Please, first person that buys them... post a review over here... would definately be interested as long as they are not TOO loud... 'cause the "law" is very much against those over here in my part of Canada... I like 'em deeper and less restricted, but not overly lould...

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Unless this is a totally new design, you can expect them to be loud. D&D is not known for meek pipes.

·
Registered
878 Posts
D&D = Deaf and Dumb

I'm all for options, but this is not an option that will help you stay out hassle with the dB test.

·
Super Moderator
21,763 Posts
D&D = Deaf and Dumb...
- before anyone purchases this on appearance alone, be prepared to want an extremely loud exhaust. D & D are consistently among the loudest after-market offerings.
When I bought my TL it had a D&D full sytem on it. I couldn't wait to get rid of it.
Replaced with an M4 which actually ended up louder than I expected but it has a much more melodious tone as opposed to just 'noise'.
OK - I haven't heard the Sprint specific item but based on my own TL and other witnessed experience, plus commony reported like findings, would not expect the Sprint model to be an exception from their norm.
D & D tend to be 'attractively priced' versus other brands and coupled with the pure db factor, which some younger riders enjoy, has given them a reasonable presence in the market. The price however, in my opinion, is a direct reflection of the general quality which is not at all comparable with some of the better (albeit pricier) brands. Essentially 'you get what you pay for'.

p.s. Just to ensire no misconception - I'm not promoting the need for quiet as a 'fuddy-duddy' - my Daytona Blueflame and TL & SV M4's are testament to that. Simply characteless db in a low quality package is not my particular taste.
Too bad M4 isn't in the Sprint market - they truly are great quality product.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I just bought a TOR a week ago so I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon. But it is Murphy's Law that just when you think there are no new options, here you go--new system. I will still be interested in seeing and hearing one posted on this forum though. The price seems reasonable enough.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Price wise they are on par with IXIL which in my opinion have a beautiful build quality but completely go to dumps with the tail tidy an hokey undertail.

The lady told me they have baffles but I forgot to ask if they are removable.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
By foraging around their site, they have some other pictures. It looks like they have a small bolt holding a baffle in, similar to the IXIL. I think if people end up liking the sound of these and there are no fit issues, I think a certain other system will be losing some sales.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I hope it turns out well! But, I'm concerned--I had purchased a D&D exhaust for a previous bike. It was on for a week. It ended up on eBay. I couldn't stand the noise.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts