Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
30,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently Triumph have finally seen fit to release a stock looking seat with a gel pad in it. They must have read the letter I sent them. :D

I didn't find it on the Triumph website yet, but madss is showing it on the new Triumph accessory catalog. Might have to try one out - I always liked the look of the stock seat but my arse simply couldn't take it.

I'm pretty sure this is new, or have I been skipping over it all this time?

http://www.madss.com/eshopprod_cat_4966-3581-12488-12680_product_623412.Gel_Comfort_Seat.htm

·
Registered
181 Posts
I feel your pain

Prop - Don't know if that's new or not, but the way my arse has been feeling I might have to put that pretty high on the wish list. Come to think of it, does the gel really help much? I wouldn't know as I've never used one.

·
30,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot of people like the gel thruxton seat.

The gel pad should give one's hiney a bit better support. The real problem with these Triumph seats is that the foam is too soft, so it squishes down and your leg pushes against the seat pan, cutting off circulation to various extremities and causing numbness and arse ache. The gel pad might well alleviate that.

I dunno, come next spring I might well have to get one of these seats and try it. Otherwise I'm sticking with my Corbin, which has firmer foam and is good for 400 + miles.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
thats kinda neat ,the only thing i have heard about the gel seat is they get hot as hell if bike is in the sun.
That 68 junk was a joke most of it was ugly as hell

·
30,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard that about leaving them in the sun too. Scorched buns is no good either!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
That seat appears to be just a normal Bonnie seat . Cute colored logo.......:rolleyes:

I'd go with a Thruxton gel seat if I were you.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I've got the Thrux Gel Seat and I love it. Heck the bare frame would be better than that stock torture chamber.

Yea the gel does get hot if left out in a strong sun, but during the cooler weather that is good.

·
30,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That seat appears to be just a normal Bonnie seat . Cute colored logo.......:rolleyes:

I'd go with a Thruxton gel seat if I were you.
No I think it looks the same as stock, but has a gel pad in it. It's a new thing.

Bit like the contemporary seat vs thrux seat. Contemporary and Thrux seat look the same, but the thrux has the gel pad in it.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thrux gel seat and Alaska sheepskin pad - an excellent combination for my boney butt. Cool in the hot months and a little bit of warmth in the burr times, like today.

·
30,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, next year when the Bonnie SE's are in, I'm going to go to my dealer and borrow a new stock seat. I don't see any reason it won't fit, but I'll check, and if the modification hasn't made it unacceptably low for my rugby player frame, then I'm going to order one of these here Gel seats and see what that does, because I would love to have a more comfy stock looking seat.

Of course, I could just take my stock seat to the shop 10 miles from here, that I drive past twice a day, advertising fitting of gel pads to motorcycle seats, and have them sort my stock seat.

Huh.

Well, I guess that takes care of that! :D

Oof-da I can't believe that didn't sink in before. :Dang:

·
Registered
210 Posts
No I think it looks the same as stock, but has a gel pad in it. It's a new thing.

Bit like the contemporary seat vs thrux seat. Contemporary and Thrux seat look the same, but the thrux has the gel pad in it.

Hey, Prop, since we are on the seat talk again, do you remember my post a couple months ago about me getting a Thrux seat, but when I got it, it didn't have the buttons to attach the rear seat cowl?? Any ideas on why? Oh, well, just curious if anyone had some thoughts on that....by the way, like the way the 09 seat looks.

·
30,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I do remember that Pepper. As I recall you got he seat off ebay right?

I am thinking it must be an older model, before they added the side buttons for the seat cowl. I'm not sure when the contemporary seat came in, and whether the cowl was a later accessory.

Either that or the previous owner reupholstered it - that doesn't sound likely.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts