Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone!

Just installed the DCC clubman speed bars last night. Everything was a seriously tight fit. I still need to file down the tabs in the controls that fit into the holes of the stock bars.

Anyways, as I was struggling with fitting everything onto the bar handles, I was putting a lot of pressure on the brake line since I was shortening the distance so much between my brake lever is vs. stock.

I was wondering if I can loosen that silver protruding piece (banjo bolt?) in order to let it wiggle itself into a more comfortable position and then tightening afterwards. Picture below. Not my bike, just one I found online. Are there any implications in doing this? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sure you can. Just barely crack it loose enough to do your fitting then tighten it back up, chances are you wont even disturb anything and won't have to bleed. A very little oil may weep out so have a rag there to wipe it off. I've done it a number of times.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure you can. Just barely crack it loose enough to do your fitting then tighten it back up, chances are you wont even disturb anything and won't have to bleed. A very little oil may weep out so have a rag there to wipe it off. I've done it a number of times.
Thanks super helpful! I tried to untwist it last night, but it is on pretty tight. Glad I read this, I'll try it more carefully this afternoon, so I won't have to bleed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or, can I just leave it be? It's on there..I just had to force the brake lever to that spot and bolt it down. And definitely it was the brake line that was fighting me. I'll post pictures once I get home.

·
Registered
953 Posts
There needs to be a slight bit of slack in that brake line with no rider on board. Obviously, when you get on the bike the front forks compress and then there is plenty of slack but imagine if the front tire were off the ground and the forks fully extended would the brake line be able to extend enough without putting undo stress on the connections and line?

Cracking the bolt slightly loose and adjusting the angle may be all you need to do to accomplish your task.

Seriously when we say "bleed the brakes" it's a straight forward simple and quick operation that takes a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you don't feel comfortable messing with the brake lines then by all means don't. Just make sure they are operating 100% when you finish doing whatever it is you do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There needs to be a slight bit of slack in that brake line with no rider on board. Obviously, when you get on the bike the front forks compress and then there is plenty of slack but imagine if the front tire were off the ground and the forks fully extended would the brake line be able to extend enough without putting undo stress on the connections and line?

Cracking the bolt slightly loose and adjusting the angle may be all you need to do to accomplish your task.

Seriously when we say "bleed the brakes" it's a straight forward simple and quick operation that takes a couple of minutes.
Thanks for the feedback! Brake seems to work fine and there is plenty of slack, the problem is more that there is too much slack. Pictures are forthcoming. Thanks again!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thoughts on how the brake line is routed? It is extremely stiff. Thanks!

Oh and additional photos of the clubman bar! Love the look so far!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts