Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Triumph has released a new clear Sportscreen for the Rocket.

Question: does anyone know if it has the same dimensions as the Fly Screen?

Both screens use the same front fixing kit so I am assuming it's essentially the same screen.

Also - can someone with the "standard" Rocket handlebars and a Fly Screen tell me how well the screen handles wind hitting the chest? I don't have a screen and when I wear a heavy leather jacket, the "wind sail" effect really wears my arms out over 60 mph.

Thanks!

·
Registered
876 Posts
There is a definite improvement with the fly screen versus no screen at all. I run the fly screen most of the year, and switch to the Roadster screen during this time of year.

The few times I've ridden without any screen, I felt like a parachute.. lol I think my arms are longer now.. lol. The fly screen helps me alot in this area, but still provides the look I'm after. I only use the Roadster screen in the winter.

·
Banned
557 Posts
SKE,

TBS and I are both exceptionally tall. TBS turned me on to an after market screen that is 5 inches taller than the stock Triumph screen. This has made a great improvement in the quality of the ride at speed. If you are starting to put on some hwy miles, then I encourage you to consider a non fly screen. The more hwy miles the more you need to consider a bigger screen. You will always be a wind sail until you do. Corbin makes a trim tab screen and a bat wing screen as options to the Triumph cruiser and fly screens. The wind sail effect does take some of the fun out of a hwy trip. I hope you find something that you like.

tom

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2007-01-21 16:02, TallRocket wrote:
SKE,

TBS and I are both exceptionally tall. TBS turned me on to an after market screen that is 5 inches taller than the stock Triumph screen. This has made a great improvement in the quality of the ride at speed. If you are starting to put on some hwy miles, then I encourage you to consider a non fly screen. The more hwy miles the more you need to consider a bigger screen. You will always be a wind sail until you do. Corbin makes a trim tab screen and a bat wing screen as options to the Triumph cruiser and fly screens. The wind sail effect does take some of the fun out of a hwy trip. I hope you find something that you like.

tom
I'm not tall (5'10") and I definitely need a full screen (I have a Clearveiw) at 70+ mph. And Triumph lower deflectors. :cool:

·
Registered
876 Posts
It just depends on your likes. I travel 7 and 8 hour rides with my fly screen and enjoy it. I do wear a full face when I have my fly screen on though.

I don't think TallRocket was refering to me as TBS, and being expectionally tall as I'm 5'11". I did use my Roadster screen on my trip to Sturgis this year, but I was undecided on which fairing to use until the day I left.. lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm 6'8" and have never ridden with a screen. Learned to ride without one and just got used to it. The wind lets me know how fast I'm going without having to look at the speedo.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That's funny.. When I first put my Roadster screen on, I took off down the highway with my daughter on back and was doing over 120 MPH before I realized it, because I was so used to judging my speed by the wind.. lol

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sheeesh! It's even higher than the color-matched flyscreen :???:

I can see the painted ones being a little pricey but $300 has got to be the most outrageous price for a clear plastic flyscreen I've ever seen. Some of Triumph's accessory prices make a Harley $tealer look like the clearance aisle at Wally World. And others are reasonably priced as proprietary accessories go. Must have to do with suppliers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2007-01-21 19:24, tbsrider2000 wrote:
It just depends on your likes. I travel 7 and 8 hour rides with my fly screen and enjoy it. I do wear a full face when I have my fly screen on though.

I don't think TallRocket was refering to me as TBS, and being expectionally tall as I'm 5'11". I did use my Roadster screen on my trip to Sturgis this year, but I was undecided on which fairing to use until the day I left.. lol
All four (4) of Triumph's screens use the same front end fixing kit (# A9738051).

The mount doesn't look like it's "quick-release". How hard is it to change from one screen to another.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It's not quick release like a Harley, but it's only 4 bolts. Takes about 5-10 minutes to swap out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The fly screen in my opinion looks the best and does take a bit of wind of you.But if you aint got no cooling breeze in your face you might as well be in a car.The big screens remind me of the screen my old man had on his C70 :hammer:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I ordered the Sportscreen from my local Triumph dealer on Saturday. I picked it up today.

Am planning to install the shield tomorrow (if I get a chance).

Holding it up to the bike, I really like the way the clear shield looks! Can't wait to see how it works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow!!!

Installed the Sportscreen today - no problems whatsoever.

Took about an hour.

Trickiest thing was detaching the clutch cable so it could feed through a cable guide on the back of the shield.

The clear Sportscreen really looks awesome and compliments the Rocket aesthetic.

Obviously I had to take it out for a test run. In Atlanta it was 38 degrees (F) out today - so even a short ride required thermals.

Big difference in feel. Where before, without the shield, the wind hits you directly in the chest (wind sail effect) - the small Sportscreen shifts the wind to the top of your shoulders / head.

On the highway with the shield it was comfortable to ride 80 / 90 mph - no sweat. without the shield, I would have been hanging on tight, and I mean tight :)

Overall, the new Sportscreen exceeded my expectations!

SKE

·
Registered
876 Posts
That is great SKE.. :) I know longer put my clutch cable through the loop, but just let it rest on the outside of the loop. It works just as good, and I can remove the screen a little easier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On 2007-01-27 07:39, Lee wrote:
Did you feel a significant drag?
Not really. The only thing I noticed was it handled a little different when I was changing lanes at 45 / 50 mph. Hard to describe - kinda like pushing the bike through the wind, instead of cutting through the wind.

No problems with handling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts