Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recollection of the earliest Triumphs I remember from "back in the day" included the classic tank badge known as the "mouth organ". Well, I have switched out the stock tank badges on my Scrambler and T100 and really like the new look. Very retro. A special "torx T25 tamper proof" tool bit is needed to remove the mounting bolts. The installation takes less than 5 minutes. The part number for the "classic" tank badge is A9758043.

Here are the before and after photos of my Scrambler and T100, and the stock tank badges lead off, followed by the classic badges.

Here is the stock tank badge on the T100, which has my least favorite retro style badge:

And here is the classic tank badge on the T100:

Here is the stock Scrambler tank badge, which I do like better:

And here is the classic tank badge on the Scrambler:

And here are the pair:

[ This message was edited by: Scrambler900 on 2007-03-03 22:25 ]

G

·
Love the classic badge, i put them on my T100 the paint didn't seam to match the badge.So I'm going to paint the tank more like the scheme intended for the badge.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
That's funny, as my earliest recollection of 'cool' Triumph tank badges was the mouth organ / "garden gate" too. So I was REAL quick to buy some and stick them on my bike. I loved 'em..... but it was just last night that I changed back OPPOSITE of what you just did; I put my single eye brow back in place:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am also for the stock badges on the T100, the others looked outta place on both bikes. I am sure I will be in the minority on this.

Nathan

[ This message was edited by: cobra935o on 2007-03-04 13:27 ]

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2007-03-03 23:43, FattRat wrote:
That's funny, as my earliest recollection of 'cool' Triumph tank badges was the mouth organ / "garden gate" too. So I was REAL quick to buy some and stick them on my bike. I loved 'em..... but it was just last night that I changed back OPPOSITE of what you just did; I put my single eye brow back in place:

I did exactly the same Patricio!
Soon after purchased my Bonnie in 03 ,installed the Mouth Organs".
Then I reversed last year.
Here is a pic with the "Mouth Organs".

·
Registered
138 Posts
The BIG mouth organ ones are not to my taste either.

My money would be better spent on things like removing the air injection rather than such bling?

Just saying.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Nice but not for me-they are obviously NOT designed for this particular T100 install =
do not match stylisticially nor design wise. They are TOO BIG and look funy IMHO.
Maybe you could chop and paint your fenders black?? To each his own.

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to sound defensive, but concerning the suggestion that the classic "mouth organ" tank badge is either too big, or not designed for the T100, I submit the following images of classic Triumphs from the 1960s with this exact look:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Scrambler900-I really enjoy the badges you've put on the tanks of your bikes. The idea is to enjoy them as you like. The "eyebrow" type and" mouth organ" type were both very popular in the 50's & 60's, so it pretty much goes that either look great on the bikes.I personally like the stock badge on the T100 paint scheme because it fits the line of the scalloped tank better to my eye. I also like the badges you've put on because they create a different look for the bike and exude a strong tradition. Nice job and thanks for the detailed input.

·
Registered
553 Posts
sorry to change the subject but want to know if you like your solo seat with rack on your scrambler is more comfortable than the stock one :upthumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the classic mouth organ badges are truly the best you guys have some great ideas for dressing these bikes up keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
OK Fellas... here's all the Triumph badges (excluding the sixety8 junk).

Starting at 12 'o' clock and moving clockwise, they are as follows:
1) Classic Tank Badge (For example: came on Thunderbirds)
2) Heritage Tank Badge (For example: comes on Speedys & Americas.)
3) Bonneville Tank Badge (For example: comes on Std Bonnies, Thruxtons & Scramblers.)
4) Eyebrow Tank Badge (For example: comes on T100 Bonnies to match the paint scallops of the tank. :-D )

Please reference this list when referring to Triumph tank badges... and use the proper names. :-D

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TCL is correct - these classic Triumph tank badges do look much better than a Harley-Davidson logo.

wildchild -

The solo seat on my Scrambler is more comfortable because is sits firmer, and a little higher in the back, than the stock seat (which was not uncomfortable for me either).

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
The T-100 & Bonne would look FINE! w/ some chrome moldindg covering that ugly seam weld?! Like both Badges a lot- different strokes for different folks? Id love t odo the flush Triumph decal of sorts I have seen in so many articles! More streamlined & with the natural curve of the tank? :) :cool:

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Thanks for pointing out that the lines of the standard badge on the T100 flow with the scalloped paint pattern. The pix have halped me make my decision on whether to swap or not.

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2007-03-05 06:54 ]

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thanks for the photos of the scrambler with the classic badge. I have been considering these so it is good to see the finished result.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, though rarely I am......

The Classic "garden gate" / "mouth organ" is just a tad too large to work on our gas tanks. If it was smaller, that bad boy would be a permanent fixture on MY bike! The thing is timeless and gives me a warm & fuzzy feeling of more innocent times, mom & apple pie, men were men kinda era.

But it's too big.
:(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts