Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started looking into a new chain, but I'm finding this more difficult than I expected. The owner's manual specifies the OEM 'Regina 136 ORP 114 link endless chain'. Buggered if I can work out how this translates to 525, 530 etc.
McLeods gives a breakdown of the meaning of the three numbers, so I could work out the link size with a ruler, but ..
Look, I'm just getting lazy now. Can anyone out there tell me exactly which DID chain I need for my 2002 Tbird? I know there's x ring, o ring, HD and XHD etc. Think I'm after an o ring HD from what I've read over the last couple of days.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
You need a 530 chain.

X ring is better than O ring, with an O ring you only get one sealing face but with an X ring you get 4, so it should last longer.

If you are comparing chain specs. then look also at the tensile strength, higher is better.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, Slinky, just the distillation I was after!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Take a look at the RK XSO chain, the T3 Sport Touring guys like them. High strength x ring & good value here compared to DID etc. I have one fitted now, seems very good so far. Comes with a rivet link so you need a breaking/riveting tool.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have ised DID chains for many years. The one on my my bike has done over 60,000klms. It is buggered. Will buy the same again.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
What do you think of these "screw links"?

I'm also about to buy a whole chain & sprocket kit, but not sure whether to buy the rivetting tool or if the screw joint would be good enough (safe).

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Screw link is fine from what I've seen on here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I see the one comment on mileage, but what's a typical range where people replace them under moderate riding conditions?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I reckon 20k miles or even more from a quality x ring chain well lubricated. It was the sprockets that were showing wear on mine after ~18k miles. I'm sure lube & dust conditions etc. will cause significant variation.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I see the one comment on mileage, but what's a typical range where people replace them under moderate riding conditions?
dunno, but mine is dirty and ugly, so it's gotta go ;).

·
Registered
92 Posts
dunno, but mine is dirty and ugly, so it's gotta go ;).
Too funny! I just saw a brush specifically for cleaning chains today.

A few days ago I saw a used Kawasaki sport bike that was immaculate everywhere except the chain. It looked like someone smeared tar on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just took my Legend in for service. They cleaned and adjusted the original chain and said it was fine. That's at 10Kmi (16km). I was going to change sprokets if the chain was worn but they told me it's good for another 10Kmi and go ride the [email protected]#s out of the bike and have fun!

·
Registered
92 Posts
at 16,700 miles I just put an EK 530 O ring chain on, kept the original sprockets...fine at now 17,500 miles...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts